A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From
Muhammad Ikram

On page
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/ddl-basics.html
5.1. Table Basics #
when we hover over Table Basics, it shows # sign postfixed. I think it needs to be removed
Muhammad Ikram
Bitnine Global

Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From
Kashif Zeeshan
Date:
Hi

I have checked other pages too and the issue is only with this page.

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan

when we hover over Table Basics, it shows # sign postfixed. I think it needs to be removed
Muhammad Ikram
Bitnine Global

Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
when we hover over Table Basics, it shows # sign postfixed. I think it needs to be removed

That is telling you that this location on the page contains an anchor.  If you click it your URL changes to include an anchor reference taking you directly to that spot.

David J.

Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
I have checked other pages too and the issue is only with this page.

 There are like thousands of them…

David J.

Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From
David Rowley
Date:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 at 16:55, Muhammad Ikram <mmikram@gmail.com> wrote:
> 5.1. Table Basics #
>
> when we hover over Table Basics, it shows # sign postfixed. I think it needs to be removed

Those are meant to be there. They allow you to copy a URL directly to
that doc section.

In [1], there was some talk about using another more suitable
character. If the purpose of the '#' isn't obvious, then maybe we
should use something else.

David

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAAKRu_Z1Xsjmv3b-JaGg2e1JLE2GCZe3+zX7C7WGbraJBfvvzg@mail.gmail.com

Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From
Kashif Zeeshan
Date:
Hi David

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan

David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 at 16:55, Muhammad Ikram <mmikram@gmail.com> wrote:
>> when we hover over Table Basics, it shows # sign postfixed. I think it needs to be removed

> In [1], there was some talk about using another more suitable
> character. If the purpose of the '#' isn't obvious, then maybe we
> should use something else.

Yeah.  I've found this new feature useful multiple times already,
but the '#' icon is as non-mnemonic and unobvious as could possibly
be.  OTOH, I don't know of a standard icon for this feature.

I wonder if we could make a tooltip worded like "link to this header"
pop up when you hover over the '#'?  That'd improve things a lot
even if we had a better icon.

A different idea is to dispense with the icon and make the section
title itself be a link to itself.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wednesday, July 17, 2024, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 at 16:55, Muhammad Ikram <mmikram@gmail.com> wrote:
>> when we hover over Table Basics, it shows # sign postfixed. I think it needs to be removed

> In [1], there was some talk about using another more suitable
> character. If the purpose of the '#' isn't obvious, then maybe we
> should use something else.

Yeah.  I've found this new feature useful multiple times already,
but the '#' icon is as non-mnemonic and unobvious as could possibly
be.  OTOH, I don't know of a standard icon for this feature.

The fact that clicking this gave me a link with “#ANCHOR” appended to it made the use of # make perfect sense, at least in hindsight.

Can we use a boat anchor symbol?

I get that my ideas do have the problem that I’m familiar with web nomenclature and details at a lower level than most of the readers we are trying to help with this change…

I feel the bug here, though possibly rarely to be read, is to note this behavior on the “Conventions” page.

A different idea is to dispense with the icon and make the section
title itself be a link to itself.

If that includes styling it would solve what I’d say is the bigger issue that where these anchors exist is not always visible.  I suppose understanding all major headings should have links makes sense, but we’ve probably got 30% (w.a.g.) of our tables with them as well.  It also would have helped here possibly by not looking like a random buggy thing on mouse-over but instead quite evidently part of our navigation.

David J.

Date:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 at 17:18, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Yeah.  I've found this new feature useful multiple times already,
> but the '#' icon is as non-mnemonic and unobvious as could possibly
> be.  OTOH, I don't know of a standard icon for this feature.

I also find it useful and certainly don't want it to disappear.

There's a unicode character for it.
https://www.unicodepedia.com/unicode/miscellaneous-symbols-and-pictographs/1f517/link-symbol/

David

Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From
Dean Rasheed
Date:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 at 07:40, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 at 17:18, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Yeah.  I've found this new feature useful multiple times already,
> > but the '#' icon is as non-mnemonic and unobvious as could possibly
> > be.  OTOH, I don't know of a standard icon for this feature.
>
> I also find it useful and certainly don't want it to disappear.

+1. I have also already found it useful.

> There's a unicode character for it.
> https://www.unicodepedia.com/unicode/miscellaneous-symbols-and-pictographs/1f517/link-symbol/

+1 for that and a "Link to this heading" tooltip.

Regards,
Dean

Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 18 Jul 2024, at 07:18, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Yeah.  I've found this new feature useful multiple times already,
> but the '#' icon is as non-mnemonic and unobvious as could possibly
> be.  OTOH, I don't know of a standard icon for this feature.

While not a standard the pilcrow [0] is, AFAICT from a bit of looking at other
docs, commonly used for this.  There is a lot of variability though so
whichever we choose it will be wrong one for someone.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilcrow

Date:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 at 19:46, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> There is a lot of variability though so
> whichever we choose it will be wrong one for someone.

I think the tooltip would help reduce the chances of someone being
confused.  For an example, see [1].

David

[1]
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/accelerating-compute-intensive-workloads-with-intel-avx-512/#test-system-configuration

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> While not a standard the pilcrow [0] is, AFAICT from a bit of looking at other
> docs, commonly used for this.  There is a lot of variability though so
> whichever we choose it will be wrong one for someone.

I like this suggestion better because that's U+00B6, ie part of
LATIN-1, so it's *far* more likely to render correctly everywhere
than U+01F517 is.  We could also consider the section sign §
(U+00A7).

In any case, a tooltip would help reduce confusion.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> On 18 Jul 2024, at 15:49, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> While not a standard the pilcrow [0] is, AFAICT from a bit of looking at other
>> docs, commonly used for this.  There is a lot of variability though so
>> whichever we choose it will be wrong one for someone.
>
> I like this suggestion better because that's U+00B6, ie part of
> LATIN-1, so it's *far* more likely to render correctly everywhere
> than U+01F517 is.  We could also consider the section sign §
> (U+00A7).
>
> In any case, a tooltip would help reduce confusion.

Looking a bit closer, the Python documentation does just this, a pilcrow with a
tool-tip ("Link to this heading") when hovering over it

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> Looking a bit closer, the Python documentation does just this, a pilcrow with a
> tool-tip ("Link to this heading") when hovering over it

Oh nice --- a precedent!  And one that a fair number of people
will have seen before.  +1 for copying Python.

            regards, tom lane

Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On 7/18/24 1:59 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 18 Jul 2024, at 15:49, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>>> While not a standard the pilcrow [0] is, AFAICT from a bit of looking at other
>>> docs, commonly used for this.  There is a lot of variability though so
>>> whichever we choose it will be wrong one for someone.
>>
>> I like this suggestion better because that's U+00B6, ie part of
>> LATIN-1, so it's *far* more likely to render correctly everywhere
>> than U+01F517 is.  We could also consider the section sign §
>> (U+00A7).
>>
>> In any case, a tooltip would help reduce confusion.
>
> Looking a bit closer, the Python documentation does just this, a pilcrow with a
> tool-tip ("Link to this heading") when hovering over it

I forgot why we went with the "#" and not the (TIL the name) pilcrow
symbol, but I'm generally used to seeing the pilcrow when I browse docs
and may have voiced that at the time (though the record may show
otherwise). So +1 to that.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment

Date:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2024 at 06:03, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On 7/18/24 1:59 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > Looking a bit closer, the Python documentation does just this, a pilcrow with a
> > tool-tip ("Link to this heading") when hovering over it
>
> I forgot why we went with the "#" and not the (TIL the name) pilcrow
> symbol, but I'm generally used to seeing the pilcrow when I browse docs
> and may have voiced that at the time (though the record may show
> otherwise). So +1 to that.

I'm not really a web developer, but I did have a go at adjusting the
.css file so we show some relevant tooltip text. I was reminded about
this when looking at [1] this morning. That page is using '#' but the
purpose of it seems quite obvious when combined with the tooltip.

I've attached a small patch to adjust the CSS with hopes that it might
inspire someone who actually knows what they're doing with CSS to make
it better.

David

[1]
https://stackoverflow.blog/2024/07/24/developers-want-more-more-more-the-2024-results-from-stack-overflow-s-annual-developer-survey/