Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it. - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: A minor bug in doc. Hovering over heading shows # besides it.
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wednesday, July 17, 2024, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 at 16:55, Muhammad Ikram <mmikram@gmail.com> wrote:
>> when we hover over Table Basics, it shows # sign postfixed. I think it needs to be removed

> In [1], there was some talk about using another more suitable
> character. If the purpose of the '#' isn't obvious, then maybe we
> should use something else.

Yeah.  I've found this new feature useful multiple times already,
but the '#' icon is as non-mnemonic and unobvious as could possibly
be.  OTOH, I don't know of a standard icon for this feature.

The fact that clicking this gave me a link with “#ANCHOR” appended to it made the use of # make perfect sense, at least in hindsight.

Can we use a boat anchor symbol?

I get that my ideas do have the problem that I’m familiar with web nomenclature and details at a lower level than most of the readers we are trying to help with this change…

I feel the bug here, though possibly rarely to be read, is to note this behavior on the “Conventions” page.

A different idea is to dispense with the icon and make the section
title itself be a link to itself.

If that includes styling it would solve what I’d say is the bigger issue that where these anchors exist is not always visible.  I suppose understanding all major headings should have links makes sense, but we’ve probably got 30% (w.a.g.) of our tables with them as well.  It also would have helped here possibly by not looking like a random buggy thing on mouse-over but instead quite evidently part of our navigation.

David J.