i386 support dropped?

From
David Steele
Date:
I can't find an announcement related to this but it looks like i386
support has been dropped from the Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian 11 repos.

Just wanted to confirm this is the case on the off chance I'm doing
something wrong. There are also a few packages we need that are missing
from base i386 Ubuntu 20.04 so I guess i386 is just dying off?

Regards,
-David

Re: i386 support dropped?

From
Christoph Berg
Re: David Steele
> I can't find an announcement related to this but it looks like i386 support
> has been dropped from the Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian 11 repos.

Hi David,

it's been a while like that, the last releases with i386 on apt.pg.
were Debian buster (10) and Ubuntu bionic (18.04)

> Just wanted to confirm this is the case on the off chance I'm doing
> something wrong. There are also a few packages we need that are missing from
> base i386 Ubuntu 20.04 so I guess i386 is just dying off?

Ubuntu degraded i386 to an "extra architecture without kernel and
installer" a while ago, yes.

That said, I'm still keeping it enabled on apt.pg.o as a build target
on Debian sid because even if I'm not doing that, I'll get the same
surprises after uploading to Debian. Better catch that early.

Christoph

Re: i386 support dropped?

From
David Steele
Date:
On 6/12/24 20:59, Christoph Berg wrote:

> Ubuntu degraded i386 to an "extra architecture without kernel and
> installer" a while ago, yes.
>
> That said, I'm still keeping it enabled on apt.pg.o as a build target
> on Debian sid because even if I'm not doing that, I'll get the same
> surprises after uploading to Debian. Better catch that early.

Thanks for the clarification!

It has been nice to be able to test on 32-bit since it is another
architecture but I guess we'll need to figure out another scheme.
Perhaps test the one PG version that ships with Debian 11 and also run
unit tests.

Obviously architectures need to be sunset at some point and it looks
like i386 has reached that point.

Regards,
-David