BUG #18336: Inconsistency in PostgreSQL 16 Documentation for SHOW Command

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      18336
Logged by:          Yuta MASANO
Email address:      masano@sraoss.co.jp
PostgreSQL version: 16.1
Operating system:   Not Applicable - Documentation Issue

In the PostgreSQL 16 release notes, there is an entry stating that the
read-only server variables lc_collate and lc_ctype have been removed.
However, the documentation for the SHOW command on the PostgreSQL official
website (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-show.html) still lists
lc_collate and lc_ctype as valid variables. This discrepancy suggests that
the documentation has not been updated to reflect the removal of these
variables. This report is to request clarification and, if necessary, an
update to the documentation to accurately represent the current state of
these server variables in PostgreSQL 16.

On Wed, 2024-02-07 at 02:25 +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> In the PostgreSQL 16 release notes, there is an entry stating that the
> read-only server variables lc_collate and lc_ctype have been removed.
> However, the documentation for the SHOW command on the PostgreSQL official
> website (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-show.html) still lists
> lc_collate and lc_ctype as valid variables.

Right; here is a patch for that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Attachment

Re: BUG #18336: Inconsistency in PostgreSQL 16 Documentation for SHOW Command

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 07.02.24 05:01, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Wed, 2024-02-07 at 02:25 +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>> In the PostgreSQL 16 release notes, there is an entry stating that the
>> read-only server variables lc_collate and lc_ctype have been removed.
>> However, the documentation for the SHOW command on the PostgreSQL official
>> website (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-show.html) still lists
>> lc_collate and lc_ctype as valid variables.
>
> Right; here is a patch for that.

I think the whole list of read-only options on the SHOW reference page
is redundant and incomplete.  A more complete list is at <sect1
id="runtime-config-preset"> in config.sgml.  This includes
server_version and server_encoding, but not is_superuser.  Maybe that's
an omission?  I think we should get rid of the list on the SHOW
reference page.

On Wed, 2024-02-07 at 08:49 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 07.02.24 05:01, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > On Wed, 2024-02-07 at 02:25 +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> > > In the PostgreSQL 16 release notes, there is an entry stating that the
> > > read-only server variables lc_collate and lc_ctype have been removed.
> > > However, the documentation for the SHOW command on the PostgreSQL official
> > > website (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-show.html) still lists
> > > lc_collate and lc_ctype as valid variables.
> >
> > Right; here is a patch for that.
>
> I think the whole list of read-only options on the SHOW reference page
> is redundant and incomplete.  A more complete list is at <sect1
> id="runtime-config-preset"> in config.sgml.  This includes
> server_version and server_encoding, but not is_superuser.  Maybe that's
> an omission?  I think we should get rid of the list on the SHOW
> reference page.

That is much better; here is a patch.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe