postgres_fdw binary protocol support

From
Ilya Gladyshev
Date:
Hi everyone,

I have made a patch that introduces support for libpq binary protocol
in postgres_fdw. The idea is simple, when a user knows that the foreign
server is binary compatible with the local and his workload could
somehow benefit from using binary protocol, it can be switched on for a
particular server or even a particular table.

The patch adds a new foreign server and table option 'binary_format'
(by default off) and implements serialization/deserialization of query
results and parameters for binary protocol. I have tested the patch by
switching foreign servers in postgres_fdw.sql tests to binary_mode, the
only diff was in the text of the error for parsing an invalid integer
value, so it worked as expected for the test. There are a few minor
issues I don't like in the code and I am yet to write the tests and
docs for it. It would be great to get some feedback and understand,
whether this is a welcome feature, before proceeding with all of the
abovementioned.

Thanks,
Ilya Gladyshev

Attachment

Re: postgres_fdw binary protocol support

From
Ashutosh Bapat
Date:
Hi Illya,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 8:50 PM Ilya Gladyshev
<ilya.v.gladyshev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have made a patch that introduces support for libpq binary protocol
> in postgres_fdw. The idea is simple, when a user knows that the foreign
> server is binary compatible with the local and his workload could
> somehow benefit from using binary protocol, it can be switched on for a
> particular server or even a particular table.

Why do we need this feature? If it's for performance then do we have
performance numbers?

AFAIU, binary compatibility of two postgresql servers depends upon the
binary compatibility of the platforms on which they run. So probably
postgres_fdw can not infer the binary compatibility by itself. Is that
true? We have many postgres_fdw options that user needs to set
manually to benefit from them. It will be good to infer those
automatically as much as possible. Hence this question.

> The patch adds a new foreign server and table option 'binary_format'
> (by default off) and implements serialization/deserialization of query
> results and parameters for binary protocol. I have tested the patch by
> switching foreign servers in postgres_fdw.sql tests to binary_mode, the
> only diff was in the text of the error for parsing an invalid integer
> value, so it worked as expected for the test. There are a few minor
> issues I don't like in the code and I am yet to write the tests and
> docs for it. It would be great to get some feedback and understand,
> whether this is a welcome feature, before proceeding with all of the
> abovementioned.

About the patch itself, I see a lot of if (binary) {} else {} block
which are repeated. It will be good if we can add functions/macros to
avoid duplication.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Re: postgres_fdw binary protocol support

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 at 08:17, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIU, binary compatibility of two postgresql servers depends upon the
> binary compatibility of the platforms on which they run.

No, libpq binary mode is not architecture-specific. I think you're
thinking of on-disk binary compatibility. But libpq binary mode is
just a binary network representation of the data instead of an ascii
representation. It should be faster and more efficient but it still
goes through binary input/output functions (which aren't named
input/output)

I actually wonder if having this would be a good way to get some code
coverage of the binary input/output functions which I suspect is sadly
lacking now. It wouldn't necessarily test that they're doing what
they're supposed to... but at least they would be getting run which I
don't think they are currently?

--
greg

Re: postgres_fdw binary protocol support

From
Ilya Gladyshev

> 22 нояб. 2022 г., в 17:10, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> Hi Illya,
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 8:50 PM Ilya Gladyshev
> <ilya.v.gladyshev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have made a patch that introduces support for libpq binary protocol
>> in postgres_fdw. The idea is simple, when a user knows that the foreign
>> server is binary compatible with the local and his workload could
>> somehow benefit from using binary protocol, it can be switched on for a
>> particular server or even a particular table.
>>

> Why do we need this feature? If it's for performance then do we have
> performance numbers?
Yes, it is for performance, but I am yet to do the benchmarks. My initial idea was that binary protocol must be more
efficientthan text, because as I understand that’s the whole point of it. However, the minor tests that I have done do
notprove this and I couldn’t find any benchmarks for it online, so I will do further tests to find a use case for it.
> About the patch itself, I see a lot of if (binary) {} else {} block
> which are repeated. It will be good if we can add functions/macros to
> avoid duplication.
Yea, that’s true, I have some ideas about improving it