Re: postgres_fdw binary protocol support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: postgres_fdw binary protocol support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 at 08:17, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIU, binary compatibility of two postgresql servers depends upon the
> binary compatibility of the platforms on which they run.

No, libpq binary mode is not architecture-specific. I think you're
thinking of on-disk binary compatibility. But libpq binary mode is
just a binary network representation of the data instead of an ascii
representation. It should be faster and more efficient but it still
goes through binary input/output functions (which aren't named
input/output)

I actually wonder if having this would be a good way to get some code
coverage of the binary input/output functions which I suspect is sadly
lacking now. It wouldn't necessarily test that they're doing what
they're supposed to... but at least they would be getting run which I
don't think they are currently?

--
greg