Out-of-date clang/llvm version lists in PGAC_LLVM_SUPPORT

Date:
I happened to notice that these lists of supported versions haven't
been updated in a good long time:

  PGAC_PATH_PROGS(LLVM_CONFIG, llvm-config llvm-config-7 llvm-config-6.0 llvm-config-5.0 llvm-config-4.0
llvm-config-3.9)

  PGAC_PATH_PROGS(CLANG, clang clang-7 clang-6.0 clang-5.0 clang-4.0 clang-3.9)

Given the lack of complaints, it seems likely that nobody is relying
on these.  Maybe we should just nuke them?  If not, I suppose we
better add 8 through 15.

I may be missing it, but it doesn't look like meson.build has any
equivalent lists.  So that might be an argument for getting rid
of the lists here?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Out-of-date clang/llvm version lists in PGAC_LLVM_SUPPORT

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2022-11-08 13:08:45 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I happened to notice that these lists of supported versions haven't
> been updated in a good long time:
>
>   PGAC_PATH_PROGS(LLVM_CONFIG, llvm-config llvm-config-7 llvm-config-6.0 llvm-config-5.0 llvm-config-4.0
llvm-config-3.9)

>   PGAC_PATH_PROGS(CLANG, clang clang-7 clang-6.0 clang-5.0 clang-4.0 clang-3.9)
>
> Given the lack of complaints, it seems likely that nobody is relying
> on these.  Maybe we should just nuke them?

Yea, that's probably a good idea. Pretty clear that that should happen only in
HEAD?

> I may be missing it, but it doesn't look like meson.build has any
> equivalent lists.  So that might be an argument for getting rid
> of the lists here?

The list is just in meson, it has a builtin helper for depending on llvm. So
that's not quite an argument unfortunately.

Greetings,

Andres Freund