Incorrect comment regarding command completion tags

From
David Rowley
Date:
I was looking at the code in EndCommand() and noticed a comment
talking about some Asserts which didn't seem to exist in the code.
The comment also talks about LastOid which looks like the name of a
variable that's nowhere to be seen.

It looks like the Asserts did exists when the completion tag patch was
being developed [1] but they disappeared somewhere along the line and
the comment didn't get an update before 2f9661311 went in.

In the attached, I rewrote the comment to remove mention of the
Asserts. I also tried to form the comment in a way that's more
understandable about why we always write a "0" in "INSERT 0 <nrows>".

David

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1C642743-8E46-4246-B4A0-C9A638B3E88F@enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: Incorrect comment regarding command completion tags

From
Mark Dilger

> On Oct 13, 2022, at 2:56 PM, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was looking at the code in EndCommand() and noticed a comment
> talking about some Asserts which didn't seem to exist in the code.
> The comment also talks about LastOid which looks like the name of a
> variable that's nowhere to be seen.
>
> It looks like the Asserts did exists when the completion tag patch was
> being developed [1] but they disappeared somewhere along the line and
> the comment didn't get an update before 2f9661311 went in.
>
> In the attached, I rewrote the comment to remove mention of the
> Asserts. I also tried to form the comment in a way that's more
> understandable about why we always write a "0" in "INSERT 0 <nrows>".

Your wording is better.  +1

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 at 11:38, Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 13, 2022, at 2:56 PM, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In the attached, I rewrote the comment to remove mention of the
> > Asserts. I also tried to form the comment in a way that's more
> > understandable about why we always write a "0" in "INSERT 0 <nrows>".
>
> Your wording is better.  +1

Thanks for having a look. I adjusted the wording slightly as I had
written "ancient" in regards to PostgreSQL 11 and earlier.  It's
probably a bit early to call a supported version of PostgreSQL ancient
so I just decided to mention the version number instead.

I pushed the resulting patch.

Thanks for having a look.

David