pg_walinspect: ReadNextXLogRecord's first_record argument

From
Robert Haas
Date:
Hi,

I was looking at the code for pg_walinspect today and I think I may
have found a bug (or else I'm confused about how this all works, which
is also possible). ReadNextXLogRecord() takes an argument first_record
of type XLogRecPtr which is used only for error reporting purposes: if
we fail to read the next record for a reason other than end-of-WAL, we
complain that we couldn't read the WAL at the LSN specified by
first_record.

ReadNextXLogRecord() has three callers. In pg_get_wal_record_info(),
we're just reading a single record, and the LSN passed as first_record
is the LSN at which that record starts. Cool. But in the other two
callers, GetWALRecordsInfo() and GetWalStats(), we're reading multiple
records, and first_record is always passed as the LSN of the first
record. That's logical enough given the name of the argument, but the
effect of it seems to be that an error while reading any of the
records will be reported using the LSN of the first record, which does
not seem right.

By contrast, pg_rewind's extractPageMap() reports the error using
xlogreader->EndRecPtr. I think that's correct. The toplevel xlogreader
function that we're calling here is XLogReadRecord(), which in turn
calls XLogNextRecord(), which has this comment:

        /*
         * state->EndRecPtr is expected to have been set by the last call to
         * XLogBeginRead() or XLogNextRecord(), and is the location of the
         * error.
         */

Thoughts?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pg_walinspect: ReadNextXLogRecord's first_record argument

From
Bharath Rupireddy
Date:
On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 10:04 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking at the code for pg_walinspect today and I think I may
> have found a bug (or else I'm confused about how this all works, which
> is also possible). ReadNextXLogRecord() takes an argument first_record
> of type XLogRecPtr which is used only for error reporting purposes: if
> we fail to read the next record for a reason other than end-of-WAL, we
> complain that we couldn't read the WAL at the LSN specified by
> first_record.
>
> ReadNextXLogRecord() has three callers. In pg_get_wal_record_info(),
> we're just reading a single record, and the LSN passed as first_record
> is the LSN at which that record starts. Cool. But in the other two
> callers, GetWALRecordsInfo() and GetWalStats(), we're reading multiple
> records, and first_record is always passed as the LSN of the first
> record. That's logical enough given the name of the argument, but the
> effect of it seems to be that an error while reading any of the
> records will be reported using the LSN of the first record, which does
> not seem right.

Indeed. Thanks a lot for finding it.

> By contrast, pg_rewind's extractPageMap() reports the error using
> xlogreader->EndRecPtr. I think that's correct. The toplevel xlogreader
> function that we're calling here is XLogReadRecord(), which in turn
> calls XLogNextRecord(), which has this comment:
>
>         /*
>          * state->EndRecPtr is expected to have been set by the last call to
>          * XLogBeginRead() or XLogNextRecord(), and is the location of the
>          * error.
>          */
>
> Thoughts?

Agreed.

Here's a patch (for V15 as well) fixing this bug, please review.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
RDS Open Source Databases: https://aws.amazon.com/rds/postgresql/

Attachment

Re: pg_walinspect: ReadNextXLogRecord's first_record argument

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 12:41 AM Bharath Rupireddy
> Agreed.
>
> Here's a patch (for V15 as well) fixing this bug, please review.

Couldn't you simplify this further by removing the lsn argument from
GetWALRecordInfo and using record->ReadRecPtr instead? Then
InitXLogReaderState's second argument could be XLogRecPtr instead of
XLogRecPtr *.

--

Date:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 8:52 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 12:41 AM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Agreed.
> >
> > Here's a patch (for V15 as well) fixing this bug, please review.
>
> Couldn't you simplify this further by removing the lsn argument from
> GetWALRecordInfo and using record->ReadRecPtr instead? Then
> InitXLogReaderState's second argument could be XLogRecPtr instead of
> XLogRecPtr *.

Done. XLogFindNextRecord() stores the first valid record in EndRecPtr
and the ReadRecPtr is set to InvalidXLogRecPtr by calling
XLogBeginRead(). And XLogNextRecord() sets ReadRecPtr which we can
use.

PSA v2 patches.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
RDS Open Source Databases: https://aws.amazon.com/rds/postgresql/

Attachment

Re: pg_walinspect: ReadNextXLogRecord's first_record argument

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 12:29 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> PSA v2 patches.

These look OK to me.