Last email not showing up in "Whole thread" view?

From
Jacob Champion
Date:
Hi all,

I wanted to report a transient error that I can't reproduce now, in
case there's some caching bug lying dormant somewhere. I visited

    https://commitfest.postgresql.org/38/3668/

and the Latest email timestamp was 2022-07-25 11:12:00. But when I
clicked on the thread link, which is

    https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAHg+QDcVUss6ocOmbLbV5f4YeGLhOCt+1x2yLNfG2H_eDwU8tw@mail.gmail.com

the last email that showed up was sent in April, and the July email
was nowhere to be seen. If I then clicked the "Whole thread" link
again, it took me to

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAHg%2BQDcVUss6ocOmbLbV5f4YeGLhOCt%2B1x2yLNfG2H_eDwU8tw%40mail.gmail.com

(note the percent-escaping) and then I could see the July email. This
persisted for a few tries while I wrote this message... and then the
bug disappeared and I can now see the July email from both URLs.

I know debugging stale caches is "fun"... sorry I don't have much more
info. Is this a known problem?

--Jacob

Re: Last email not showing up in "Whole thread" view?

Date:
Jacob Champion <jchampion@timescale.com> writes:
> I wanted to report a transient error that I can't reproduce now, in
> case there's some caching bug lying dormant somewhere. I visited
> the last email that showed up was sent in April, and the July email
> was nowhere to be seen. If I then clicked the "Whole thread" link
> again, it took me to

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAHg%2BQDcVUss6ocOmbLbV5f4YeGLhOCt%2B1x2yLNfG2H_eDwU8tw%40mail.gmail.com
> (note the percent-escaping) and then I could see the July email. This
> persisted for a few tries while I wrote this message... and then the
> bug disappeared and I can now see the July email from both URLs.

The email archives definitely have some aggressive caching.  IME,
clicking "reload page" works to get an updated view of whatever
thread you're looking at.  YMMV of course (I use Safari usually).

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 7:32 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The email archives definitely have some aggressive caching.  IME,
> clicking "reload page" works to get an updated view of whatever
> thread you're looking at.  YMMV of course (I use Safari usually).

Yeah. In my case, refreshing didn't work at all (until suddenly it
did); otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought much of it. I'll keep
an eye out.

Thanks,
--Jacob