pgsql: psql: initialize comment-begin setting to a useful value by defa

psql: initialize comment-begin setting to a useful value by default.

Readline's meta-# command is supposed to insert a comment marker
at the start of the current line.  However, the default marker is
"#" which is entirely unhelpful for SQL.  Set it to "-- " instead.
(This setting can still be overridden in one's ~/.inputrc file,
so this change won't affect people who have already taken steps
to make the command useful.)

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAJcOf-cAdMVr7azeYR7nWKsNp7qhORzc84rV6d7m7knG5Hrtsw@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3d858af07ee67efda3778bdd655852afabf4a125

Modified Files
--------------
src/bin/psql/input.c | 7 ++++++-

Re: pgsql: psql: initialize comment-begin setting to a useful value by defa

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
Hi Tom,

On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 05:24:58PM +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
> psql: initialize comment-begin setting to a useful value by default.
>
> Readline's meta-# command is supposed to insert a comment marker
> at the start of the current line.  However, the default marker is
> "#" which is entirely unhelpful for SQL.  Set it to "-- " instead.
> (This setting can still be overridden in one's ~/.inputrc file,
> so this change won't affect people who have already taken steps
> to make the command useful.)

prairiedog is unhappy after this commit due to the use of
rl_variable_bind():
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=prairiedog&dt=2021-12-02%2005%3A29%3A32

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_rl_variable_bind
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Michael

Attachment

Re: pgsql: psql: initialize comment-begin setting to a useful value by defa

Date:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 05:24:58PM +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
>> psql: initialize comment-begin setting to a useful value by default.

> prairiedog is unhappy after this commit due to the use of
> rl_variable_bind():

Meh.  Guess we need a configure probe for rl_variable_bind.
I'll see to it.

            regards, tom lane