Naming projects for Postgresql ONLY.

From
Jean Baro
Date:
Hi there,

I am working on a project for PERSON (Lead, Prospect and Customer) deduplication that is done using 100% Postgresql capabilities (and its standard extensions present in AWS, GCP and Azure as well). Once extensively tested and robust enough I am planning on releasing it as Open Source (probably under PG License).

To ensure people looking into this know it's a Postgresql only solution I was considering naming it pg_person_dedupe or something on those lines.

Please, am I allowed to use pg_** as the name of this open source project?

Any suggestions recommendation would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Naming projects for Postgresql ONLY.

From
Laurenz Albe
Date:
On Tue, 2021-11-16 at 13:39 -0300, Jean Baro wrote:
> I am working on a project for PERSON (Lead, Prospect and Customer) deduplication that
> is done using 100% Postgresql capabilities (and its standard extensions present in AWS,
> GCP and Azure as well). Once extensively tested and robust enough I am planning on
> releasing it as Open Source (probably under PG License).
>
> To ensure people looking into this know it's a Postgresql only solution I was considering naming it pg_person_dedupe
orsomething on those lines.

> Please, am I allowed to use pg_** as the name of this open source project?

I see no problem with that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Naming projects for Postgresql ONLY.

From
Jean Baro
Date:
Great, thanks!

Date:
On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 04:42:05PM +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-11-16 at 13:39 -0300, Jean Baro wrote:
> > I am working on a project for PERSON (Lead, Prospect and Customer) deduplication that
> > is done using 100% Postgresql capabilities (and its standard extensions present in AWS,
> > GCP and Azure as well). Once extensively tested and robust enough I am planning on
> > releasing it as Open Source (probably under PG License).
> >
> > To ensure people looking into this know it's a Postgresql only solution I was considering naming it
pg_person_dedupeor something on those lines.

> > Please, am I allowed to use pg_** as the name of this open source project?
>
> I see no problem with that.

Agreed, you might want to look here:

    https://www.postgresql.org/about/policies/trademarks/

Re: Naming projects for Postgresql ONLY.

Date:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 04:42:05PM +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
>> On Tue, 2021-11-16 at 13:39 -0300, Jean Baro wrote:
>>> Please, am I allowed to use pg_** as the name of this open source project?

>> I see no problem with that.

> Agreed, you might want to look here:
>     https://www.postgresql.org/about/policies/trademarks/

Note that there is no trademark on "pg", so those policies don't
really apply here.  I concur that there's no issue with Jean
using "pg" as a name prefix --- there are lots of other people
doing the same.

            regards, tom lane

Email list removal

From
James Pitchford
Date:
Please can someone advise how to remove myself from this email list.

Jim

Re: Email list removal

Date:
James Pitchford <jim.pitchford@ithought.biz> writes:
> Please can someone advise how to remove myself from this email list.

See the List-Unsubscribe link, in the headers of every email you
receive from the list.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Email list removal

From
James Pitchford
Date:
Tom

There is no unsubscribe link (but there should be!).

I also tried the help link  in the headers but when trying to reset my email I get

Account error

This account cannot change password as it's connected to a third party login site.

A bit stuck.

Jim

Please can someone advise how to remove myself from this email list.

See the List-Unsubscribe link, in the headers of every email you
receive from the list.

regards, tom lane

Re: Email list removal

From
James Pitchford
Date:
Ah, now found it.

I believe that link should be in the body of the email not hidden in the headers.

Jim

> On 18 Nov 2021, at 12:50, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> James Pitchford <jim.pitchford@ithought.biz> writes:
>> Please can someone advise how to remove myself from this email list.
>
> See the List-Unsubscribe link, in the headers of every email you
> receive from the list.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Email list removal

Date:
James Pitchford <jim.pitchford@ithought.biz> writes:
> I believe that link should be in the body of the email not hidden in the headers.

That's a fairly bad idea, actually.  Aside from it being a distracting
nuisance most of the time, people who include the entire body of a
message in their replies (which sadly is way too many people) would
be exposing the info needed to unsubscribe them.  Also, we can't
modify the bodies of messages as they pass through the list server
without breaking various anti-spam protocols.

            regards, tom lane