pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3.

Date:
Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3.

Previously it only checked for version >= 5.8.0, although the
documentation has said that the minimum version is 5.8.3 since
commit dea6ba939.  Per the discussion leading up to that commit,
I (tgl) left it that way intentionally because you could, at the
time, do some bare-bones stuff with 5.8.0.  But we aren't actually
testing against anything older than 5.8.3, so who knows if that's
still true.  It's pretty unlikely that anyone would care anyway,
so let's just make configure's version check match the docs.

Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/87y278s6iq.fsf@wibble.ilmari.org
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/16894.1501392088@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/92e6a98c3636948e7ece9a3260f9d89dd60da278

Modified Files
--------------
config/perl.m4 | 4 ++--
configure      | 6 +++---

Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3.

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 7 Oct 2021, at 20:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Previously it only checked for version >= 5.8.0, although the
> documentation has said that the minimum version is 5.8.3 since
> commit dea6ba939.

src/test/perl/README still claims "5.8.0 and newer", not sure how important
that is to fix but it seems a bit inconsistent now.

Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3.

Date:
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> On 7 Oct 2021, at 20:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Previously it only checked for version >= 5.8.0, although the
>> documentation has said that the minimum version is 5.8.3 since
>> commit dea6ba939.

> src/test/perl/README still claims "5.8.0 and newer", not sure how important
> that is to fix but it seems a bit inconsistent now.

Ah, done.  I grepped for other possible references to 5.8.x, and
found

src/tools/msvc/gendef.pl:use 5.8.0;

but I don't think we need to change that.

            regards, tom lane

I wrote:
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> src/test/perl/README still claims "5.8.0 and newer", not sure how important
>> that is to fix but it seems a bit inconsistent now.

> Ah, done.

BTW, looking at that a second time, I wonder if that advice is
really of any use.

(1) I'm distrustful of the idea that perl 5.8.x will compile
cleanly, or at all, on modern platforms.  Certainly Postgres
releases of similar vintage won't.

(2) Unless perlbrew.pl is doing something a lot more magic than
I think, you're going to end up with current-not-historical
versions of whatever it has to pull from CPAN.  That's going
to include at least IPC::Run and Test::More if you want to run
our TAP tests.

So maybe this advice is helpful, but I'm not very convinced.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> On 7 Oct 2021, at 21:02, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> BTW, looking at that a second time, I wonder if that advice is
> really of any use.

Yeah, I would have to agree.  Reading that again I think what it perhaps should
be saying is that 5.8.3 is the Perl API level that the testcode must conform
to, but they should run with basically whichever recent Perl you have handy as
long as the required modules are installed.  Not that we expect developers to
run 5.8.3 when executing TAP tests.