Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3.
Date
List pgsql-committers
I wrote:
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> src/test/perl/README still claims "5.8.0 and newer", not sure how important
>> that is to fix but it seems a bit inconsistent now.

> Ah, done.

BTW, looking at that a second time, I wonder if that advice is
really of any use.

(1) I'm distrustful of the idea that perl 5.8.x will compile
cleanly, or at all, on modern platforms.  Certainly Postgres
releases of similar vintage won't.

(2) Unless perlbrew.pl is doing something a lot more magic than
I think, you're going to end up with current-not-historical
versions of whatever it has to pull from CPAN.  That's going
to include at least IPC::Run and Test::More if you want to run
our TAP tests.

So maybe this advice is helpful, but I'm not very convinced.

            regards, tom lane