Doc images are broken

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
I noticed "Figure 69.1. Page Layout" from the docs doesn't work on
either of the two major browsers I tested:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html

A recent regression seems likely. Is there some way that this can be
tested automatically, to avoid or at least quickly catch any would-be
regressions in the future?

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 15 Sep 2021, at 19:47, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
>
> I noticed "Figure 69.1. Page Layout" from the docs doesn't work on
> either of the two major browsers I tested:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html
>
> A recent regression seems likely. Is there some way that this can be
> tested automatically, to avoid or at least quickly catch any would-be
> regressions in the future?

The image by itself seems to work:

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/pagelayout.svg

The Firefox inspector however sheds some light on it:

    Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at
    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html (“frame-ancestors”).

The W3 validator returns 47 errors and warnings for the page, but nothing
specific to this issue.

Re: Doc images are broken

Date:
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> The image by itself seems to work:
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/pagelayout.svg

Yeah, and the image also renders fine for me in a local build
of the docs, showing that it's something specific to the
www.postgresql.org site.

> The Firefox inspector however sheds some light on it:
>     Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html (“frame-ancestors”).

Looks like a smoking gun ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 8:25 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> > The image by itself seems to work:
> >     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/pagelayout.svg
>
> Yeah, and the image also renders fine for me in a local build
> of the docs, showing that it's something specific to the
> www.postgresql.org site.
>
> > The Firefox inspector however sheds some light on it:
> >     Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at
> >     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html (“frame-ancestors”).
>
> Looks like a smoking gun ...

Indeed it is. Thanks for the analysis, fix pushed!

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 15 Sep 2021, at 22:12, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 8:25 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:

>>> The Firefox inspector however sheds some light on it:
>>>    Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at
>>>    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html (“frame-ancestors”).
>>
>> Looks like a smoking gun ...
>
> Indeed it is. Thanks for the analysis, fix pushed!

Fix confirmed, it works in Firefox and Safari for me again.

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:47 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> I noticed "Figure 69.1. Page Layout" from the docs doesn't work on
> either of the two major browsers I tested:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html
>
> A recent regression seems likely. Is there some way that this can be
> tested automatically, to avoid or at least quickly catch any would-be
> regressions in the future?

I'm pretty sure that the same exact regression has happened again.
That is, "Figure 69.1. Page Layout" looks distorted in a way that I
believe looks just like the issue reported back in September of 2021.

Can this be fixed? Ideally in a way that will allow any similar
regressions to be detected early going forward?

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 2/21/23 10:56 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:47 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
>> I noticed "Figure 69.1. Page Layout" from the docs doesn't work on
>> either of the two major browsers I tested:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html
>>
>> A recent regression seems likely. Is there some way that this can be
>> tested automatically, to avoid or at least quickly catch any would-be
>> regressions in the future?
>
> I'm pretty sure that the same exact regression has happened again.
> That is, "Figure 69.1. Page Layout" looks distorted in a way that I
> believe looks just like the issue reported back in September of 2021.

Define distorted. It looks fine to me here on Firefox 110.0.

> Can this be fixed? Ideally in a way that will allow any similar
> regressions to be detected early going forward?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 11:01 AM Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> Define distorted. It looks fine to me here on Firefox 110.0.

There is a very thick black margin that takes up a substantial portion
of the image overall. It looks wrong.

If I look at the page from last year through archive.org
(https://web.archive.org/web/20220115102330/https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html),
the image doesn't have any such distortion/margin, on exactly the same
browser (Chrome). See the attached screenshots.

As I said, I'm pretty sure that the symptoms were identical back in
September of 2021.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment

Re: Doc images are broken

Date:
> On 2/21/23 10:56 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that the same exact regression has happened again.
>> That is, "Figure 69.1. Page Layout" looks distorted in a way that I
>> believe looks just like the issue reported back in September of 2021.

> Define distorted. It looks fine to me here on Firefox 110.0.

Looks okay to me in Safari as well --- there's a rather large black
border around the figure, but I don't see anything wrong with the
figure itself.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 11:15 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Looks okay to me in Safari as well --- there's a rather large black
> border around the figure, but I don't see anything wrong with the
> figure itself.

Perhaps the word "distorted" was overstating it. The black border
definitely isn't supposed to be there, though.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 11:21 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> Perhaps the word "distorted" was overstating it. The black border
> definitely isn't supposed to be there, though.

Chrome Developer mode shows me the following error when run against
the page in question (which is
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html):

"Refused to apply inline style because it violates the following
Content Security Policy directive: "style-src 'self'
fonts.googleapis.com tagmanager.google.com". Either the
'unsafe-inline' keyword, a hash
('sha256-TSlN9iIwid/izE/G6oaDB90xp+keZMu2WTr1Y7Gnrrc='), or a nonce
('nonce-...') is required to enable inline execution. Note that hashes
do not apply to event handlers, style attributes and javascript:
navigations unless the 'unsafe-hashes' keyword is present."

I'm no expert, but this definitely seems relevant to me.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 8:34 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 11:21 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> Perhaps the word "distorted" was overstating it. The black border
> definitely isn't supposed to be there, though.

Chrome Developer mode shows me the following error when run against
the page in question (which is
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/storage-page-layout.html):

"Refused to apply inline style because it violates the following
Content Security Policy directive: "style-src 'self'
fonts.googleapis.com tagmanager.google.com". Either the
'unsafe-inline' keyword, a hash
('sha256-TSlN9iIwid/izE/G6oaDB90xp+keZMu2WTr1Y7Gnrrc='), or a nonce
('nonce-...') is required to enable inline execution. Note that hashes
do not apply to event handlers, style attributes and javascript:
navigations unless the 'unsafe-hashes' keyword is present."

I'm no expert, but this definitely seems relevant to me.

That does seem to be it. I've applied a patch that allows "unsafe-inline" styling on the SVGs in docs and it looks much better now.

--

Re: Doc images are broken

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 1:06 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> That does seem to be it. I've applied a patch that allows "unsafe-inline" styling on the SVGs in docs and it looks
muchbetter now.

Thanks!

--
Peter Geoghegan