[Doc] Tiny fix for regression tests example

From
"tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com"

Hi

When reading PG DOC, found some example code not correct as it said.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/regress-run.html

Here's a tiny fix in regress.sgml.

-make check PGOPTIONS="-c log_checkpoints=on -c work_mem=50MB"

+make check PGOPTIONS="-c geqo=off -c work_mem=50MB"

log_checkpoints couldn't be set in PGOPTIONS.

Replace log_checkpoints with geqo in the example code.

-make check EXTRA_REGRESS_OPTS="--temp-config=test_postgresql.conf"

+make check EXTRA_REGRESS_OPTS="--temp-config=$(pwd)/test_postgresql.conf"

User needs to specify $(pwd) to let the command execute as expected.

The above example code is added by Peter in PG14. So I think we need to apply this fix at PG14/master.

I proposed this fix at pgsql-docs@lists.postgresql.org at [1]. But no reply except Craig. So I please allow me to post the patch at Hackers mail list again in case the fix is missed.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/OS0PR01MB6113FA937648B8F7A372359BFB009%40OS0PR01MB6113.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

Regards,

Tang

Attachment

Re: [Doc] Tiny fix for regression tests example

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 06:12:02AM +0000, tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com wrote:
> Here's a tiny fix in regress.sgml.
>
> -make check PGOPTIONS="-c log_checkpoints=on -c work_mem=50MB"
> +make check PGOPTIONS="-c geqo=off -c work_mem=50MB"
>
> log_checkpoints couldn't be set in PGOPTIONS.
>
> Replace log_checkpoints with geqo in the example code.

Right, that won't work.  What about using something more
developer-oriented here, say force_parallel_mode=regress?

> -make check EXTRA_REGRESS_OPTS="--temp-config=test_postgresql.conf"
> +make check EXTRA_REGRESS_OPTS="--temp-config=$(pwd)/test_postgresql.conf"
>
> User needs to specify $(pwd) to let the command execute as expected.

This works as-is.
--
Michael

Date:
On Monday, July 26, 2021 1:04 PM, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>> -make check PGOPTIONS="-c log_checkpoints=on -c work_mem=50MB"
>> +make check PGOPTIONS="-c geqo=off -c work_mem=50MB"
>>
>> log_checkpoints couldn't be set in PGOPTIONS.
>>
>> Replace log_checkpoints with geqo in the example code
>>
>Right, that won't work.  What about using something more
>developer-oriented here, say force_parallel_mode=regress?

Thanks for your comment. Agree with your suggestion.
Modified it in the attachment patch.

Date:
On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 05:50:28AM +0000, tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com wrote:
> Thanks for your comment. Agree with your suggestion.
> Modified it in the attachment patch.

Okay, applied, but without the pwd part.
--
Michael

Attachment