possible license violations

From
"tom.beacon"
Date:
What is the best contact with whom to discuss possible violations of the pgsql license?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: possible license violations

Date:
On Thu, Jun  3, 2021 at 09:31:15PM +0000, tom.beacon wrote:
> What is the best contact with whom to discuss possible violations of the pgsql
> license?

Uh, good question, and I could not find the answer easily.  I would
report it to the owners of the Postgres trademark:

    https://www.postgresql.org/about/policies/trademarks/
    board@lists.postgres.ca

Re: possible license violations

Date:
> On Thu, Jun  3, 2021 at 09:31:15PM +0000, tom.beacon wrote:
>> What is the best contact with whom to discuss possible violations of the pgsql
>> license?

> Uh, good question, and I could not find the answer easily.  I would
> report it to the owners of the Postgres trademark:

>     https://www.postgresql.org/about/policies/trademarks/
>     board@lists.postgres.ca

A point worth making here is that the Postgres *license* is so lax
that it's basically impossible to violate, unless maybe by redistributing
the code sans COPYRIGHT file.  And even if somebody were doing that,
I doubt how much we'd care.

We do care more about the Postgres *trademarks*, which is why Bruce
is pointing you to the organization that owns those.  But a trademark
violation is an entirely different animal from a copyright violation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: possible license violations

Date:
On Thu, Jun  3, 2021 at 06:08:42PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun  3, 2021 at 09:31:15PM +0000, tom.beacon wrote:
> >> What is the best contact with whom to discuss possible violations of the pgsql
> >> license?
>
> > Uh, good question, and I could not find the answer easily.  I would
> > report it to the owners of the Postgres trademark:
>
> >     https://www.postgresql.org/about/policies/trademarks/
> >     board@lists.postgres.ca
>
> A point worth making here is that the Postgres *license* is so lax
> that it's basically impossible to violate, unless maybe by redistributing
> the code sans COPYRIGHT file.  And even if somebody were doing that,
> I doubt how much we'd care.

I have received private reports of our COPYRIGHT not being properly
included in distributions so I am sensitive to those possible
violations, and I assume the trademark holders would deal with those as
well.

Re: possible license violations

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

> On Thu, Jun  3, 2021 at 06:08:42PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> >
> > > Uh, good question, and I could not find the answer easily.  I would
> > > report it to the owners of the Postgres trademark:
> >
> > >     https://www.postgresql.org/about/policies/trademarks/
> > >     board@lists.postgres.ca
> >
> > A point worth making here is that the Postgres *license* is so lax
> > that it's basically impossible to violate, unless maybe by redistributing
> > the code sans COPYRIGHT file.  And even if somebody were doing that,
> > I doubt how much we'd care.
>
> I have received private reports of our COPYRIGHT not being properly
> included in distributions so I am sensitive to those possible
> violations, and I assume the trademark holders would deal with those as
> well.

One of the downsides of attributing the copyrights to an organization
which doesn't exist (PGDG) is that, I would think anyway, it'd make it
rather hard to actually enforce anything regarding copyright..  I'm not
a lawyer though.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment