gdal30 and Rhel 8.4 dependency problem

From
Svensson Peter

We use gdal30 in Rhel 8, but when are going to upgrade to Rhel 8.4  we got dependency problem with poppler

If we then remove gdal30,  upgrade to Rhel 8.4 and then try to install gdal30,  dnf will downgrade poppler  and cups

I tried with the package gdal30-3.0.4-4.rhel8.x86_64.rpm   from this repository:
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-8.4-x86_64/

Can you please  rebuild   gdal30 to support the version of poppler used in Rhel 8.4

best regards,
Peter

Re: gdal30 and Rhel 8.4 dependency problem

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Thu, 2021-05-27 at 07:31 +0000, Svensson Peter wrote:
> Can you please  rebuild   gdal30 to support the version of poppler
> used in Rhel 8.4

Can you please install gdal32? Thanks.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

SV: gdal30 and Rhel 8.4 dependency problem

From
Svensson Peter

No sorry, but we have some in house built system with hard requirements to gdal30.

As we saw that you had gdal30 in rhel8.4 repo we thought you could rebuild that.

Regards

Peter

On Thu, 2021-05-27 at 07:31 +0000, Svensson Peter wrote:
> Can you please  rebuild   gdal30 to support the version of poppler
> used in Rhel 8.4

Can you please install gdal32? Thanks.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: SV: gdal30 and Rhel 8.4 dependency problem

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Thu, 2021-05-27 at 13:54 +0000, Svensson Peter wrote:
> No sorry, but we have some in house built system with hard
> requirements to gdal30.
>
> As we saw that you had gdal30 in rhel8.4 repo we thought you could
> rebuild that.

Well, I'm sure you (and Daryl) found a hole in the GIS stack. All of
the RPMs *should* require gdal32. Can you please let me know which
versions of PostGIS, PROJ and GeOS you are using?

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

SV: SV: gdal30 and Rhel 8.4 dependency problem

From
Svensson Peter

We use in this combination  proj70 , geos38 and postgis24

But gdal30 requires libproj.so.19()(64bit)  so I think even proj72 will work.

and gdal30-libs requires libgeos_c.so.1()(64bit)  so even geos39 are possible

postgis24 requires libgdal.so.26()(64bit)

Regards,
Peter

On Thu, 2021-05-27 at 13:54 +0000, Svensson Peter wrote:
> No sorry, but we have some in house built system with hard
> requirements to gdal30.
>
> As we saw that you had gdal30 in rhel8.4 repo we thought you could
> rebuild that.

Well, I'm sure you (and Daryl) found a hole in the GIS stack. All of
the RPMs *should* require gdal32. Can you please let me know which
versions of PostGIS, PROJ and GeOS you are using?

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: SV: SV: gdal30 and Rhel 8.4 dependency problem

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Fri, 2021-05-28 at 06:23 +0000, Svensson Peter wrote:
> We use in this combination  proj70 , geos38 and postgis24

Ahh, that now makes sense (see below) .

> But gdal30 requires libproj.so.19()(64bit)  so I think even proj72 will
> work.

My very original plan was to support a single GeOS/GDAL/PROJ
combination across all PostGIS installations, which miserably failed
after PROJ 8.0:

checking for proj_api.h... no
configure: error: could not find proj_api.h - you may need to specify
the directory of a PROJ.4 installation using --with-projdir

Upstream patched 3.0 and 3.1 for that, and that is why users of the
recent versions actually have no issues.

> and gdal30-libs requires libgeos_c.so.1()(64bit)  so even geos39 are
> possible
>
> postgis24 requires libgdal.so.26()(64bit)

I even removed gdal30 spec files from pgdg repos a few months ago :-)

Let me see what I can do. Either I will solve the problem on the
packaging side, or will just as users to add these packages to
exclude=... list, so that yum/dnf update won't complain.