PostgreSQL community vs PostgreSQL EDB comparison and Difference document needed!!!!

From
dbatoCloud Solution

Dear All

We are planning to choose PostgreSQL community databases in our company. But We need to analyze and compare the PostgreSQL community with the PostgreSQL EDB product?

Could you please someone advise the benefits of community over EDB product?

Thanks & Best Wishes,

Ashok

Ashokkumar Mani  (OCP12c/11g/10g/9i, AWS SAA, M103)

Dubai , UAE | BLR , INDIA

M: +971 54 723 0075 | +91 90086 70302 | WApp : +91 81975 99922

W: https://dbatocloudsolution.blogspot.in/ | E: dbatocloud17@gmail.com

Hello all,

Thank you for raising this Ashok, I would also be interested in reviewing such a document or helping to fill a documentation gap if one is not currently available.

Sincerely,
Katie McMillan

Attention : courriel externe | external email

dbatoCloud Solution schrieb am 04.05.2021 um 12:37:
> We are planning to choose PostgreSQL community databases in our
> company. But We need to analyze and compare the PostgreSQL community
> with the PostgreSQL EDB product?
>

> Could you please someone advise the benefits of community over EDB
> product?

EDB has a feature comparison between PostgreSQL and their "EDB Postgres Advanced Server":

   https://www.enterprisedb.com/compare-postgres-databases

If you need more details, you will need to contact EDB directly.

On Tue, 2021-05-04 at 14:15 +0200, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> We are planning to choose PostgreSQL community databases in our
>
> > company. But We need to analyze and compare the PostgreSQL community
> > with the PostgreSQL EDB product?
> > Could you please someone advise the benefits of community over EDB
> > product?
>
> EDB has a feature comparison between PostgreSQL and their "EDB Postgres Advanced Server":
>
>    https://www.enterprisedb.com/compare-postgres-databases
>
> If you need more details, you will need to contact EDB directly.

In a nutshell, these are all features designed to make it more compatible
with Oracle.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Dear All

Good Day!

Thanks for writing it back!

We are looking for a PostgreSQL community version rather than EDB. I feel PostgreSQL 12 & 13 has more features. But I

i want to compare the benefits and features of PostgreSQL community with EDB except the license part.

We will be using AWS RDS or AWS Aurora for hosting the Data on it.

Let me know if we can have a healthy discussion on how to use the postgreSQL community version efficiently.

On Wed, 2021-05-05 at 10:17 +0400, dbatoCloud Solution wrote:
> We will be using AWS RDS or AWS Aurora for hosting the Data on it.

Note that these are modified versions of PostgreSQL, and from what I
have heard, Aurora has diverged substantially from standard PostgreSQL
(there is no "community edition", but only a single edition of PostgreSQL).

> Let me know if we can have a healthy discussion on how to use the
>  postgreSQL community version efficiently.

That is an extremely broad topic.  You won't get meaningful answers to
a question like that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

 I am trying to review the products in garnet and itcentralsolution.

I have been using the community for 5 years .

Is there any improvement on High Availability , backup ,recovery, performance tuning in postgresql 13 version.

I see autovacuum , parallelism and other interesting things are improved on this version.

Planning to upgrade my postgresql 10 and 11 version into 12 or 13.

Please suggest which one I can go for.

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 11:23 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Wed, 2021-05-05 at 10:17 +0400, dbatoCloud Solution wrote:
> We will be using AWS RDS or AWS Aurora for hosting the Data on it.

Note that these are modified versions of PostgreSQL, and from what I
have heard, Aurora has diverged substantially from standard PostgreSQL
(there is no "community edition", but only a single edition of PostgreSQL).

> Let me know if we can have a healthy discussion on how to use the
>  postgreSQL community version efficiently.

That is an extremely broad topic.  You won't get meaningful answers to
a question like that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Thanks Laurenz for the information about EDB & AWS Aurora DB!!!

Let us discuss PostgreSQL 12 & 13. The below main area which I am looking for the new features

  1. partitioning
  2. vacuuming
  3. backup tool
  4.  sharding
  5. performance tuning areas - mainly optimizer choice etc.