[doc] plan invalidation when statistics are update

From
torikoshia
Date:
Hi,

AFAIU, when the planner statistics are updated, generic plans are
invalidated and PostgreSQL recreates. However, the manual doesn't seem
to explain it explicitly.

   https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-prepare.html

I guess this case is included in 'whenever database objects used in the
statement have definitional (DDL) changes undergone', but I feel it's
hard to infer.

Since updates of the statistics can often happen, how about describing
this case explicitly like an attached patch?

Atsushi Torikoshi
Attachment

Re: [doc] plan invalidation when statistics are update

From
Fujii Masao

On 2020/11/18 11:04, torikoshia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFAIU, when the planner statistics are updated, generic plans are invalidated and PostgreSQL recreates. However, the
manualdoesn't seem to explain it explicitly.

>    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-prepare.html
>
> I guess this case is included in 'whenever database objects used in the statement have definitional (DDL) changes
undergone',but I feel it's hard to infer.

> Since updates of the statistics can often happen, how about describing this case explicitly like an attached patch?

+1 to add that note.

-   statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes
+   statement. For example, when the planner statistics of the statement
+   are updated, <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> re-analyzes and
+   re-plans the statement.

I don't think "For example," is necessary.

"planner statistics of the statement" sounds vague? Does the statement
is re-analyzed and re-planned only when the planner statistics of database
objects used in the statement are updated? If yes, we should describe
that to make the note a bit more explicitly?

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Date:
On 2020-11-18 11:35, Fujii Masao wrote:

Thanks for your comment!

> On 2020/11/18 11:04, torikoshia wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> AFAIU, when the planner statistics are updated, generic plans are
>> invalidated and PostgreSQL recreates. However, the manual doesn't seem
>> to explain it explicitly.
>>
>>    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-prepare.html
>>
>> I guess this case is included in 'whenever database objects used in
>> the statement have definitional (DDL) changes undergone', but I feel
>> it's hard to infer.
>>
>> Since updates of the statistics can often happen, how about describing
>> this case explicitly like an attached patch?
>
> +1 to add that note.
>
> -   statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/>
> changes
> +   statement. For example, when the planner statistics of the
> statement
> +   are updated, <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> re-analyzes and
> +   re-plans the statement.
>
> I don't think "For example," is necessary.
>
> "planner statistics of the statement" sounds vague? Does the statement
> is re-analyzed and re-planned only when the planner statistics of
> database
> objects used in the statement are updated? If yes, we should describe
> that to make the note a bit more explicitly?

Yes. As far as I confirmed, updating statistics which are not used in
prepared statements doesn't trigger re-analyze and re-plan.

Since plan invalidations for DDL changes and statistcal changes are
caused
by PlanCacheRelCallback(Oid 'relid'), only the prepared statements using
'relid' relation seem invalidated.

Attached updated patch.

Regards,

-

On 2020/11/19 14:33, torikoshia wrote:
> On 2020-11-18 11:35, Fujii Masao wrote:
>
> Thanks for your comment!
>
>> On 2020/11/18 11:04, torikoshia wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> AFAIU, when the planner statistics are updated, generic plans are invalidated and PostgreSQL recreates. However,
themanual doesn't seem to explain it explicitly.

>>>    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-prepare.html
>>>
>>> I guess this case is included in 'whenever database objects used in the statement have definitional (DDL) changes
undergone',but I feel it's hard to infer.

>>> Since updates of the statistics can often happen, how about describing this case explicitly like an attached
patch?

>> +1 to add that note.
>>
>> -   statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes
>> +   statement. For example, when the planner statistics of the statement
>> +   are updated, <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> re-analyzes and
>> +   re-plans the statement.
>>
>> I don't think "For example," is necessary.
>>
>> "planner statistics of the statement" sounds vague? Does the statement
>> is re-analyzed and re-planned only when the planner statistics of database
>> objects used in the statement are updated? If yes, we should describe
>> that to make the note a bit more explicitly?
>
> Yes. As far as I confirmed, updating statistics which are not used in
> prepared statements doesn't trigger re-analyze and re-plan.
>
> Since plan invalidations for DDL changes and statistcal changes are caused
> by PlanCacheRelCallback(Oid 'relid'), only the prepared statements using
> 'relid' relation seem invalidated.>
> Attached updated patch.

Thanks for confirming that and updating the patch!
Barring any objection, I will commit the patch.

On 2020/11/24 23:14, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On 2020/11/19 14:33, torikoshia wrote:
>> On 2020-11-18 11:35, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your comment!

themanual doesn't seem to explain it explicitly.

undergone',but I feel it's hard to infer.

>>> +1 to add that note.
>>>
>>> -   statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes
>>> +   statement. For example, when the planner statistics of the statement
>>> +   are updated, <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> re-analyzes and
>>> +   re-plans the statement.
>>>
>>> I don't think "For example," is necessary.
>>>
>>> "planner statistics of the statement" sounds vague? Does the statement
>>> is re-analyzed and re-planned only when the planner statistics of database
>>> objects used in the statement are updated? If yes, we should describe
>>> that to make the note a bit more explicitly?
>>
>> Yes. As far as I confirmed, updating statistics which are not used in
>> prepared statements doesn't trigger re-analyze and re-plan.
>>
>> Since plan invalidations for DDL changes and statistcal changes are caused
>> by PlanCacheRelCallback(Oid 'relid'), only the prepared statements using
>> 'relid' relation seem invalidated.> Attached updated patch.
>
> Thanks for confirming that and updating the patch!

     force re-analysis and re-planning of the statement before using it
     whenever database objects used in the statement have undergone
     definitional (DDL) changes since the previous use of the prepared
-   statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes
+   statement. Similarly, whenever the planner statistics of database
+   objects used in the statement have updated, re-analysis and re-planning
+   happen.

"been" should be added between "have" and "updated" in the above "objects
  used in the statement have updated"?

I'm inclined to add "since the previous use of the prepared statement" into
also the second description, to make it clear. But if we do that, it's better
to merge the above two description into one, as follows?

     whenever database objects used in the statement have undergone
-   definitional (DDL) changes since the previous use of the prepared
+   definitional (DDL) changes or the planner statistics of them have
+   been updated since the previous use of the prepared
     statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: [doc] plan invalidation when statistics are update

From
Andy Fan

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 1:13 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

On 2020/11/24 23:14, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On 2020/11/19 14:33, torikoshia wrote:
>> On 2020-11-18 11:35, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your comment!

>>> +1 to add that note.
>>>
>>> -   statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes
>>> +   statement. For example, when the planner statistics of the statement
>>> +   are updated, <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> re-analyzes and
>>> +   re-plans the statement.
>>>
>>> I don't think "For example," is necessary.
>>>
>>> "planner statistics of the statement" sounds vague? Does the statement
>>> is re-analyzed and re-planned only when the planner statistics of database
>>> objects used in the statement are updated? If yes, we should describe
>>> that to make the note a bit more explicitly?
>>
>> Yes. As far as I confirmed, updating statistics which are not used in
>> prepared statements doesn't trigger re-analyze and re-plan.
>>
>> Since plan invalidations for DDL changes and statistcal changes are caused
>> by PlanCacheRelCallback(Oid 'relid'), only the prepared statements using
>> 'relid' relation seem invalidated.> Attached updated patch.
>
> Thanks for confirming that and updating the patch!

     force re-analysis and re-planning of the statement before using it
     whenever database objects used in the statement have undergone
     definitional (DDL) changes since the previous use of the prepared
-   statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes
+   statement. Similarly, whenever the planner statistics of database
+   objects used in the statement have updated, re-analysis and re-planning
+   happen.

"been" should be added between "have" and "updated" in the above "objects
  used in the statement have updated"?

I'm inclined to add "since the previous use of the prepared statement" into
also the second description, to make it clear. But if we do that, it's better
to merge the above two description into one, as follows?

     whenever database objects used in the statement have undergone
-   definitional (DDL) changes since the previous use of the prepared
+   definitional (DDL) changes or the planner statistics of them have
+   been updated since the previous use of the prepared
     statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes

+1 for documenting this case since I just spent time reading code last week for it. and
+1 for the above sentence to describe this case.

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan

Date:
On 2020-11-25 14:13, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On 2020/11/24 23:14, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>

>> On 2020/11/19 14:33, torikoshia wrote:
>>> On 2020-11-18 11:35, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your comment!

>>> Yes. As far as I confirmed, updating statistics which are not used in
>>> prepared statements doesn't trigger re-analyze and re-plan.
>>>
>>> Since plan invalidations for DDL changes and statistcal changes are
>>> caused
>>> by PlanCacheRelCallback(Oid 'relid'), only the prepared statements
>>> using
>>> 'relid' relation seem invalidated.> Attached updated patch.
>>
>> Thanks for confirming that and updating the patch!
>
>     force re-analysis and re-planning of the statement before using it
>     whenever database objects used in the statement have undergone
>     definitional (DDL) changes since the previous use of the prepared
> -   statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/>
> changes
> +   statement. Similarly, whenever the planner statistics of database
> +   objects used in the statement have updated, re-analysis and
> re-planning
> +   happen.
>
> "been" should be added between "have" and "updated" in the above
> "objects
>  used in the statement have updated"?

You're right.

> I'm inclined to add "since the previous use of the prepared statement"
> into
> also the second description, to make it clear. But if we do that, it's
> better
> to merge the above two description into one, as follows?
>
>     whenever database objects used in the statement have undergone
> -   definitional (DDL) changes since the previous use of the prepared
> +   definitional (DDL) changes or the planner statistics of them have
> +   been updated since the previous use of the prepared
>     statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/>
> changes

Thanks, it seems better.

Regards,

On 2020/11/26 14:30, torikoshia wrote:
> On 2020-11-25 14:13, Fujii Masao wrote:

themanual doesn't seem to explain it explicitly.

changesundergone', but I feel it's hard to infer.

>>> Thanks for confirming that and updating the patch!
>>
>>     force re-analysis and re-planning of the statement before using it
>>     whenever database objects used in the statement have undergone
>>     definitional (DDL) changes since the previous use of the prepared
>> -   statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes
>> +   statement. Similarly, whenever the planner statistics of database
>> +   objects used in the statement have updated, re-analysis and re-planning
>> +   happen.
>>
>> "been" should be added between "have" and "updated" in the above "objects
>>  used in the statement have updated"?
>
> You're right.
>
>> I'm inclined to add "since the previous use of the prepared statement" into
>> also the second description, to make it clear. But if we do that, it's better
>> to merge the above two description into one, as follows?
>>
>>     whenever database objects used in the statement have undergone
>> -   definitional (DDL) changes since the previous use of the prepared
>> +   definitional (DDL) changes or the planner statistics of them have
>> +   been updated since the previous use of the prepared
>>     statement.  Also, if the value of <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/> changes
>
> Thanks, it seems better.

Pushed. Thanks!

> +1 for documenting this case since I just spent time reading code last week for it. and
> +1 for the above sentence to describe this case.

Thanks!