Yet another (minor) fix in BRIN

From
Tomas Vondra
Date:
Hi,

While rebasing some of the BRIN patches, I noticed some of the code in
brin_memtuple_initialize is duplicated. This happened in 8bf74967dab
which moved some of the code from brin_new_memtuple, not removing the
shared pieces. In practice this is benign, of course.

Barring objections I'll get the attached fix committed and backpatched.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment

Re: Yet another (minor) fix in BRIN

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2020-Nov-08, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> While rebasing some of the BRIN patches, I noticed some of the code in
> brin_memtuple_initialize is duplicated. This happened in 8bf74967dab
> which moved some of the code from brin_new_memtuple, not removing the
> shared pieces. In practice this is benign, of course.
>
> Barring objections I'll get the attached fix committed and backpatched.

LGTM, thanks for noticing.

Re: Yet another (minor) fix in BRIN

Date:
> On 2020-Nov-08, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> While rebasing some of the BRIN patches, I noticed some of the code in
>> brin_memtuple_initialize is duplicated. This happened in 8bf74967dab
>> which moved some of the code from brin_new_memtuple, not removing the
>> shared pieces. In practice this is benign, of course.
>>
>> Barring objections I'll get the attached fix committed and backpatched.

> LGTM, thanks for noticing.

The weekend before stable-branch releases is probably not the best
time to be pushing "minor" fixes into those branches.  I got my
fingers burned today, and so did Peter.  Don't follow our example ;-)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Yet another (minor) fix in BRIN

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Sat, Nov 07, 2020 at 10:45:26PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> The weekend before stable-branch releases is probably not the best
> time to be pushing "minor" fixes into those branches.  I got my
> fingers burned today, and so did Peter.  Don't follow our example ;-)

You could just apply your stuff after the version is tagged (not
stamped as there could be urgent bug fixes between the stamp time and
the tag time, like packaing issues).
--
Michael

Date:
On 11/8/20 12:34 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 07, 2020 at 10:45:26PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The weekend before stable-branch releases is probably not the best
>> time to be pushing "minor" fixes into those branches.  I got my
>> fingers burned today, and so did Peter.  Don't follow our example ;-)
>
> You could just apply your stuff after the version is tagged (not
> stamped as there could be urgent bug fixes between the stamp time and
> the tag time, like packaing issues).

Yeah, that's what I was planning to do - I was not suggesting I'll push
this right away. Or at least I did not mean to. Sorry if that was not
quite clear.

regards