redundant error messages

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
A few client tools duplicate error messages already provided by libpq,
such as

pg_rewind: fatal: could not connect to server: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory

pg_basebackup: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory

psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server:
No such file or directory

The psql case is actually a regression introduced in PG12, but the other
two appear to be ancient.

Other client tools provide a different error message so in aggregate it
looks like this:

createdb: error: could not connect to database template1: could not
connect to server: No such file or directory

The attached patch removes the redundant message from the client tools.
I suppose it's a bit dubious because there is no guarantee what the
level of detail the message supplied by libpq has.  But I think these
few cases are not particularly hard to keep in sync.

Attachment

Re: redundant error messages

From
Euler Taveira
Date:
A few client tools duplicate error messages already provided by libpq,
such as

pg_rewind: fatal: could not connect to server: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory

Good catch!

Other client tools provide a different error message so in aggregate it
looks like this:

createdb: error: could not connect to database template1: could not
connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the database name important for this message? You should inform which
database you want to connect for all client tools except pg_dumpall. Hence, you
already know which database has the connection problem. IMO the pg_dumpall
message should inform the database name. My suggestion is:

        if (fail_on_error)
        {
            pg_log_error("database \"%s\": %s",
                         dbname, PQerrorMessage(conn));
            exit_nicely(1);
        }

and remove the redundant 'could not connect to database %s' from
scripts/common.c.

--
Euler Taveira                 http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: redundant error messages

From
Isaac Morland
Date:
Is the database name important for this message? You should inform which
database you want to connect for all client tools except pg_dumpall. Hence, you
already know which database has the connection problem. IMO the pg_dumpall
message should inform the database name. My suggestion is:

In principle, the client knows the database name. In practice, if it's coming from PGDATABASE or via a service configuration, one may be confused about the database; having the error message be explicit will avoid many problems. I can easily imagine that "unable to connect to database" would be mystifying, whereas "unable to connect to database foo" would elicit the response, "wait, I'm trying to connect to what now?" leading much more quickly to a resolution.

Re: redundant error messages

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2020-Nov-05, Isaac Morland wrote:

> In principle, the client knows the database name. In practice, if it's
> coming from PGDATABASE or via a service configuration, one may be confused
> about the database; having the error message be explicit will avoid many
> problems. I can easily imagine that "unable to connect to database" would
> be mystifying, whereas "unable to connect to database foo" would elicit the
> response, "wait, I'm trying to connect to what now?" leading much more
> quickly to a resolution.

Also consider cases like running something via cron, where the person
reading the error output does not necessarily know what command is being
run: it might be hidden inside a script.  It's often very helpful to
have object names in error messages, even if for the normal usage it
seems that the object being operated on is very obvious by just looking
at the command.

Date:
On 2020-11-05 13:27, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> A few client tools duplicate error messages already provided by libpq,
> such as
>
> pg_rewind: fatal: could not connect to server: could not connect to
> server: No such file or directory
>
> pg_basebackup: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to
> server: No such file or directory
>
> psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server:
> No such file or directory
>
> The psql case is actually a regression introduced in PG12, but the other
> two appear to be ancient.

I have committed fixes for these.