how to switch off: WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13

From
Matthias Apitz
Date:
Hello,

Maybe it's a FAQ, but I haven't seen the answer. I want to switch of the
warning (because I know the fact of version not matching):

$ psql -Usisis -dsisis
SET
psql (11.4, server 13.0)
WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
         Some psql features might not work.
Type "help" for help.

sisis=#

I tried to do it with the ~/.psqlrc file:

$ cat ~/.psqlrc
SET client_min_messages = 'error'

The command gets executed (as the 'SET' shows), but does not silent the
warning.

Thanks

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
Без книги нет знания, без знания нет коммунизма (Влaдимир Ильич Ленин)

Re: how to switch off: WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13

From
Paul Förster
Date:
Hi Matthias,

> On 28. Sep, 2020, at 12:06, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> Maybe it's a FAQ, but I haven't seen the answer. I want to switch of the
> warning (because I know the fact of version not matching):
>
> $ psql -Usisis -dsisis
> SET
> psql (11.4, server 13.0)
> WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
>         Some psql features might not work.
> Type "help" for help.
>
> sisis=#
>
> I tried to do it with the ~/.psqlrc file:
>
> $ cat ~/.psqlrc
> SET client_min_messages = 'error'
>
> The command gets executed (as the 'SET' shows), but does not silent the
> warning.

try the -q switch to psql:

$ psql -q

That should do.

Cheers,
Paul

Date:
El día lunes, septiembre 28, 2020 a las 12:17:26p. m. +0200, Paul Förster escribió:

> > $ psql -Usisis -dsisis
> > SET
> > psql (11.4, server 13.0)
> > WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
> >         Some psql features might not work.
> > Type "help" for help.
> >
> > sisis=#
> >

> try the -q switch to psql:
>
> $ psql -q
>
> That should do.

Yes, I know this flag. But this removes also the lines

psql (11.4, server 13.0)
Type "help" for help.

I only want remove the WARNING lines.

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
Без книги нет знания, без знания нет коммунизма (Влaдимир Ильич Ленин)
Without books no knowledge - without knowledge no communism (Vladimir Ilyich Lenin)
Sin libros no hay saber - sin saber no hay comunismo. (Vladimir Ilich Lenin)

Re: how to switch off: WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
On 2020/09/28 19:06, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Maybe it's a FAQ, but I haven't seen the answer. I want to switch of the
> warning (because I know the fact of version not matching):
>
> $ psql -Usisis -dsisis
> SET
> psql (11.4, server 13.0)
> WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
>           Some psql features might not work.
> Type "help" for help.
>
> sisis=#
>
> I tried to do it with the ~/.psqlrc file:
>
> $ cat ~/.psqlrc
> SET client_min_messages = 'error'
>
> The command gets executed (as the 'SET' shows), but does not silent the
> warning.

This warning is generated as a printf() statement by psql itself and is
not affected by "client_min_messages" (which sets the level of error
messages to be returned from the server).

Looking at the source, there's no other way (apart from the -q/--quiet
option) to suppress this warning.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
Ian Barwick                   https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: how to switch off: WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13

From
"Ireneusz Pluta/wp.pl"
Date:
W dniu 2020-09-28 o 13:39, Matthias Apitz pisze:
> El día lunes, septiembre 28, 2020 a las 12:17:26p. m. +0200, Paul Förster escribió:
>
>>> $ psql -Usisis -dsisis
>>> SET
>>> psql (11.4, server 13.0)
>>> WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
>>>          Some psql features might not work.
>>> Type "help" for help.
>>>
>>> sisis=#
>>>
>> try the -q switch to psql:
>>
>> $ psql -q
>>
>> That should do.
> Yes, I know this flag. But this removes also the lines
>
> psql (11.4, server 13.0)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> I only want remove the WARNING lines.
>
>     matthias

Matthias,

just install the psql binary of the 13.0 release in a separate path, and use it when connecting to
the 13.0 server.