Re: community social media

From
ourdiaspora
Date:
Mail list readers,

Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???

Mmm...

Anyway, please include with greater prominence, the existence of community social media platforms such as Hubzilla,
Mastodon,Diaspora.

Re: community social media

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???

Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.

Anyway, please include with greater prominence, the existence of community social media platforms such as Hubzilla, Mastodon, Diaspora.

If you know that these things exist you should provide links to them, and suggest where you think "prominent" is on our site.

David J.

Re: community social media

From
ourdiaspora
Date:
> > Firstly, within the mailing list web pages, references to "blacklist"???
>
> Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.

See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql web site account

"allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice

> > Anyway, please include with greater prominence, the existence of community social media platforms such as Hubzilla,
Mastodon,Diaspora.

> If you know that these things exist you should provide links to them, and suggest where you think "prominent" is on
oursite.

Some examples:

https://fediverse.party/en/portal/servers
https://diasporafoundation.org
https://joinmastodon.org/

Postgresql home web page should have hyperlinks to official postgresql servers for these services.

So, next to the home page which shows:
https://twitter.com/postgresql

There should be:

https://postgresql.org/mastodon
https://postgresql.org/hubzilla
etc.

Of course, each community social media service should describe the postgreqsl configuration.

Re: community social media

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 9/26/20 11:05 AM, ourdiaspora wrote:
> [...]

Still not sure what the issue is.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: community social media

From
ourdiaspora
Date:

> > > Maybe provide a link to where and a suggested alternative wording.
> >
> > See title 'Manage email addresses' after sign-in to your postgresql web site account
> > "allowed", "dis-allowed" could suffice
>
> Still not sure what the issue is.

https://toot.thoughtworks.com/@judeswae/104571211206394579

Ignorance is bliss...

> -------------------------------------
>
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: community social media

From
Tomas Vondra
Date:
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 07:50:05PM +0000, ourdiaspora wrote:

> [...]

Ummm, are you sure the best way to change things is to go to a mailing
list and insult people who may be genuinely confused about what exactly
you're proposing?

In any case, this list is meant to deal with promoting PostgreSQL
itself, so maybe a better place to discuss this is pgsql-www, which is
where the people maintaining the websites are paying more attention.

regards

Re: community social media

From
Dave Cramer

On Sat., Sep. 26, 2020, 4:06 p.m. Tomas Vondra, <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 07:50:05PM +0000, ourdiaspora wrote:

Ironic isn't it ?

Dave

Re: community social media

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:05 AM ourdiaspora <ourdiaspora@protonmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyway, please include with greater prominence, the existence of community social media platforms such as Hubzilla, Mastodon, Diaspora.
>
> If you know that these things exist you should provide links to them, and suggest where you think "prominent" is on our site.

Some examples:

https://fediverse.party/en/portal/servers
https://diasporafoundation.org
https://joinmastodon.org/

Postgresql home web page should have hyperlinks to official postgresql servers for these services.

So, next to the home page which shows:
https://twitter.com/postgresql

There should be:

https://postgresql.org/mastodon
https://postgresql.org/hubzilla
etc.

Of course, each community social media service should describe the postgreqsl configuration.

But I don't believe that there are official PostgreSQL servers for/on these platforms (and it seems difficult to know whether there are unofficial ones).  We do have Slack and IRC setup and links to those are on the "Community" page.

David J.

Re: community social media

From
Tomas Vondra
Date:
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 06:05:14PM +0000, ourdiaspora wrote:
> [...]

I'm not sure there are official (i.e. operated by PGDG) postgresql
servers for these services.

>So, next to the home page which shows:
>https://twitter.com/postgresql
>
>There should be:
>
>https://postgresql.org/mastodon
>https://postgresql.org/hubzilla
>etc.

Those links lead nowhere, so it's not clear to me what exactly is your
proposal? Are you suggesting PGDG should start running those services?
I very much doubt PGDG has the resources (esp. manpower) to run and
maintain every possible service of this kind ...

>Of course, each community social media service should describe the
>postgreqsl configuration.

Not sure what you mean by this? What postgresql configuration?

regards

Re: community social media

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 9/26/20 12:50 PM, ourdiaspora wrote:

> [...]

I would say ignorance is taking a word(black) and appropriating it for a
cause, wherever it appears, when said word has more them one meaning.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: community social media

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On 9/26/20 4:59 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 9/26/20 12:50 PM, ourdiaspora wrote:

As Magnus said[1] a bit earlier, there's already an in-progress item to
implement language updates on pglister, but it's not a trivial change.

Now that we're passed the PostgreSQL 13 release (which for who track
things with the pgweb ecosystem, *a lot* of changes were added to help
support the release ;) my guess is this will be handled in the
not-too-distant future.

Suffice to say, this is being addressed.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABUevEyS0_xFc-7ZaWKR%3Dd5h-HfvGEt%2BPhEP2Dpp5H7sTxY6Ug%40mail.gmail.com

Attachment

Re: community social media

From
ourdiaspora
Date:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 07:50:05PM +0000, ourdiaspora wrote:

You should be sure that denialism per se is an insult to some

Re: community social media

From
ourdiaspora
Date: