enable pg_stat_statements to track rows processed by REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW

From
Katsuragi Yuta
Date:
Hi,

pg_stat_statements tracks the number of rows processed
by some utility commands.
But, currently, it does not track the number of rows
processed by REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW.

Attached patch enables pg_stat_statements to track
processed rows by REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW.

Regards,
Katsuragi Yuta
Attachment

On 2020/09/25 19:04, legrand legrand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> isn't this already fixed in pg14
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/E1k0mzG-0002Vn-2W@gemulon.postgresql.org
> ?

IIUC that commit handled CREATE TABLE AS, SELECT INTO, CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW
and FETCH commands, but not REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW. Katsuragi-san's patch is
for REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW.

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: enable pg_stat_statements to track rows processed by REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW

From
legrand legrand
Date:
oups, sorry
so +1 for this fix

Regards
PAscal

--
Sent from: https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-hackers-f1928748.html

Spec compliant:           tested, passed
Documentation:            tested, passed

+1.
I checked the patch and there were no problems.
I hope this fix will be reflected.

The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer

On 2020/11/02 14:02, Yuki Seino wrote:
> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
> make installcheck-world:  tested, passed
> Implements feature:       tested, passed
> Spec compliant:           tested, passed
> Documentation:            tested, passed
>
> +1.
> I checked the patch and there were no problems.

+        PG_END_TRY();
+        SetQueryCompletion(qc, CMDTAG_REFRESH_MATERIALIZED_VIEW, processed);

Isn't it better to call SetQueryCompletion() in ExecRefreshMatView()
instead of ProcessUtilitySlow() (e.g., ExecCreateTableAs() does)?

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

> On 2020/11/02 14:02, Yuki Seino wrote:
>> The following review has been posted through the commitfest
>> application:
>> make installcheck-world:  tested, passed
>> Implements feature:       tested, passed
>> Spec compliant:           tested, passed
>> Documentation:            tested, passed
>>
>> +1.
>> I checked the patch and there were no problems.
>
> +        PG_END_TRY();
> +        SetQueryCompletion(qc, CMDTAG_REFRESH_MATERIALIZED_VIEW, processed);
>
> Isn't it better to call SetQueryCompletion() in ExecRefreshMatView()
> instead of ProcessUtilitySlow() (e.g., ExecCreateTableAs() does)?
>
> Regards,

Sorry. I missed it.
I've incorporated your point into this patch.
So the changes to "matview.h" and "utility.c" have been canceld.

We also confirmed that the new patch passed the regression test.

On 2020/11/05 23:54, Seino Yuki wrote:
>> On 2020/11/02 14:02, Yuki Seino wrote:
>>> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
>>> make installcheck-world:  tested, passed
>>> Implements feature:       tested, passed
>>> Spec compliant:           tested, passed
>>> Documentation:            tested, passed
>>>
>>> +1.
>>> I checked the patch and there were no problems.
>>
>> +        PG_END_TRY();
>> +        SetQueryCompletion(qc, CMDTAG_REFRESH_MATERIALIZED_VIEW, processed);
>>
>> Isn't it better to call SetQueryCompletion() in ExecRefreshMatView()
>> instead of ProcessUtilitySlow() (e.g., ExecCreateTableAs() does)?
>>
>> Regards,
>

> Sorry. I missed it.
> I've incorporated your point into this patch.
> So the changes to "matview.h" and "utility.c" have been canceld.
>
> We also confirmed that the new patch passed the regression test.

Thanks for updating the patch!

+    /* save the rowcount if we're given a qc to fill */
+    SetQueryCompletion(qc, CMDTAG_REFRESH_MATERIALIZED_VIEW, processed);

I added the check "if (qc)" into the above. I also added the following
comments about that we don't display the rowcount in the command
completion tag output though we save it in qc. There is the discussion
related to this topic, at [1]. Thought?

+     * Save the rowcount so that pg_stat_statements can track the total number
+     * of rows processed by REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command. Note that we
+     * still don't display the rowcount in the command completion tag output,
+     * i.e., the display_rowcount flag of CMDTAG_REFRESH_MATERIALIZED_VIEW
+     * command tag is left false in cmdtaglist.h. Otherwise, the change of
+     * completion tag output might break applications using it.

Attached is the updated version of the patch.
Barring no objection, I will commit that.

Regards,

[1]
https://postgr.es/m/aadbfba9-e4bb-9531-6b3a-d13c31c8f4fe@oss.nttdata.com

--

On 2020/11/10 17:29, Fujii Masao wrote:

>>> +        PG_END_TRY();
>>> +        SetQueryCompletion(qc, CMDTAG_REFRESH_MATERIALIZED_VIEW, processed);
>>>
>>> Isn't it better to call SetQueryCompletion() in ExecRefreshMatView()
>>> instead of ProcessUtilitySlow() (e.g., ExecCreateTableAs() does)?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>

>> Sorry. I missed it.
>> I've incorporated your point into this patch.
>> So the changes to "matview.h" and "utility.c" have been canceld.
>>
>> We also confirmed that the new patch passed the regression test.
>
> Thanks for updating the patch!
>
> +    /* save the rowcount if we're given a qc to fill */
> +    SetQueryCompletion(qc, CMDTAG_REFRESH_MATERIALIZED_VIEW, processed);
>
> I added the check "if (qc)" into the above. I also added the following
> comments about that we don't display the rowcount in the command
> completion tag output though we save it in qc. There is the discussion
> related to this topic, at [1]. Thought?
>
> +     * Save the rowcount so that pg_stat_statements can track the total number
> +     * of rows processed by REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command. Note that we
> +     * still don't display the rowcount in the command completion tag output,
> +     * i.e., the display_rowcount flag of CMDTAG_REFRESH_MATERIALIZED_VIEW
> +     * command tag is left false in cmdtaglist.h. Otherwise, the change of
> +     * completion tag output might break applications using it.
>
> Attached is the updated version of the patch.
> Barring no objection, I will commit that.

Pushed. Thanks!