Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?

From
Dave Page
Date:
I was experimenting with building with MIT Kerberos support on 64 bit Windows using MSVC and ran into a number of linker errors along the lines of:

"C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgsql.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\zic.vcxproj" (default target) (2) ->
(Link target) ->
  LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'C:\Progra~1\MIT\Kerberos\lib.obj' [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\zic.vcxproj]

That was after I had to manually add the include and lib paths in buildenv.pl. Diving in a bit further I found a couple of things:

1) The only buildfarm machine doing 64bit Windows Kerberos enabled builds with MSVC is hammerkop. It enables it by setting the "krb5" option in config.pl, however, as far as I can see (going back to 9.5), the option is actually "gss". I can't see any sign in the log for the make step that it actually is making any attempt to build with Kerberos, despite the UI showing the icon for it.

2) I can't find anything in the MSVC build scripts in src/tools/msvc to deal with 64bit Kerberos builds - Solution.pm seems to unconditionally try to link with the 32bit libraries (e.g. lib/i386/krb5_32.lib instead of lib/amd64/krb5_64.lib).

I'm assuming noone has tried a build with 64bit Kerberos, or am I missing something?

Sidenote: I'm not sure even a 32bit Kerberos build will work, as Solution.pm assumes the headers are in $self->{options}->{gss} . '\inc\krb5', however in at least the latest installer from MIT they're actually in $self->{options}->{gss} . '\include'.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?

[...]

Attached is a patch against 12.4 for the build system in case anyone wants to play (I'll do it properly against the head branch later). I'm guessing this will work for < 12, as with 12 I'm now getting the following which looks like it's related to GSS encryption:

"C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgsql.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgcrypto.vcxproj" (default target) (2) ->
"C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj" (default target) (3) ->
(Link target) ->
  be-secure-gssapi.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol setenv referenced in function secure_open_gssapi [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]
  .\Release\postgres\postgres.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]

I'll dig into that some more.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Dave Page (dpage@pgadmin.org) wrote:
> Attached is a patch against 12.4 for the build system in case anyone wants
> to play (I'll do it properly against the head branch later). I'm guessing
> this will work for < 12, as with 12 I'm now getting the following which
> looks like it's related to GSS encryption:
>
> "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgsql.sln" (default target) (1) ->
> "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgcrypto.vcxproj" (default
> target) (2) ->
> "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj" (default
> target) (3) ->
> (Link target) ->
>   be-secure-gssapi.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol setenv
> referenced in function secure_open_gssapi
> [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]
>   .\Release\postgres\postgres.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved
> externals [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]
>
> I'll dig into that some more.

Yes, that'd be in the GSSENC code, which I hadn't been expecting to be
used under Windows.  If you're successful, I don't have any issue
helping to make that work, though I'm curious if you're trying to build
with MIT KfW (which is rather ancient these days, being based on krb5
1.13 and not updated since..) or with a more current release...?

Of course, it'd be good to get a buildfarm animal in place that's
actually testing this if we're going to make it work.

Regarding the setenv() call, should be able to use pgwin32_putenv() in
place on Windows, I'd think..?

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment

Re: Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 5:29 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Dave Page (dpage@pgadmin.org) wrote:
> Attached is a patch against 12.4 for the build system in case anyone wants
> to play (I'll do it properly against the head branch later). I'm guessing
> this will work for < 12, as with 12 I'm now getting the following which
> looks like it's related to GSS encryption:
>
> "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgsql.sln" (default target) (1) ->
> "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgcrypto.vcxproj" (default
> target) (2) ->
> "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj" (default
> target) (3) ->
> (Link target) ->
>   be-secure-gssapi.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol setenv
> referenced in function secure_open_gssapi
> [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]
>   .\Release\postgres\postgres.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved
> externals [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]
>
> I'll dig into that some more.

Yes, that'd be in the GSSENC code, which I hadn't been expecting to be
used under Windows.  If you're successful, I don't have any issue
helping to make that work, though I'm curious if you're trying to build
with MIT KfW (which is rather ancient these days, being based on krb5
1.13 and not updated since..) or with a more current release...?

I'm currently using the KFW 4.1 build from MIT. I've tried building it myself but it requires a very old toolchain (which defeated the point of what I was trying to do at the time).

I haven't yet looked to see if the source for krb5-1.8.2 will build or even has the right bits in it for Windows - as I'm sure you know MIT seem to maintain an entirely different version for Windows for which I assume there's a reason.

Of course, it'd be good to get a buildfarm animal in place that's
actually testing this if we're going to make it work.

Fixing the config on hamerkop should deal with that I think. Though I am confused as to why the Buildfarm UI thinks it has Kerberos support enabled - did we change the config parameter from krb5 to gss some time prior to 9.5? If so, that could explain it.

Regarding the setenv() call, should be able to use pgwin32_putenv() in
place on Windows, I'd think..?

Right, I imagine so. It's on my todo...

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Dave Page (dpage@pgadmin.org) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 5:29 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Dave Page (dpage@pgadmin.org) wrote:
> > > Attached is a patch against 12.4 for the build system in case anyone
> > wants
> > > to play (I'll do it properly against the head branch later). I'm guessing
> > > this will work for < 12, as with 12 I'm now getting the following which
> > > looks like it's related to GSS encryption:
> > >
> > > "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgsql.sln" (default target)
> > (1) ->
> > > "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgcrypto.vcxproj" (default
> > > target) (2) ->
> > > "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj" (default
> > > target) (3) ->
> > > (Link target) ->
> > >   be-secure-gssapi.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol setenv
> > > referenced in function secure_open_gssapi
> > > [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]
> > >   .\Release\postgres\postgres.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved
> > > externals [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]
> > >
> > > I'll dig into that some more.
> >
> > Yes, that'd be in the GSSENC code, which I hadn't been expecting to be
> > used under Windows.  If you're successful, I don't have any issue
> > helping to make that work, though I'm curious if you're trying to build
> > with MIT KfW (which is rather ancient these days, being based on krb5
> > 1.13 and not updated since..) or with a more current release...?
>
> I'm currently using the KFW 4.1 build from MIT. I've tried building it
> myself but it requires a very old toolchain (which defeated the point of
> what I was trying to do at the time).

> I haven't yet looked to see if the source for krb5-1.8.2 will build or even
> has the right bits in it for Windows - as I'm sure you know MIT seem to
> maintain an entirely different version for Windows for which I assume
> there's a reason.

I'm a bit confused as to why you'd consider trying 1.8.2- did you mean
1.18.2 there, perhaps..?  That's what I would think to try, since, as I
understand it from following the Kerberos Dev list (which is pretty
responsive...) has been updated to work with newer Windows build
toolchains.

> > Of course, it'd be good to get a buildfarm animal in place that's
> > actually testing this if we're going to make it work.
>
> Fixing the config on hamerkop should deal with that I think. Though I am
> confused as to why the Buildfarm UI thinks it has Kerberos support enabled
> - did we change the config parameter from krb5 to gss some time prior to
> 9.5? If so, that could explain it.

Looks to be run by SRA OSS..  Perhaps reaching out to them to ask about
it would help?

> > Regarding the setenv() call, should be able to use pgwin32_putenv() in
> > place on Windows, I'd think..?
>
> Right, I imagine so. It's on my todo...

Alright.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment

Re: Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi