deb repo doesn't have latest. or possible to update web page?

From
Roger Pack
Date:
As a note I tried to use the deb repo today:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/debian/

with an old box on Wheezy.
It only seems to have binaries up to postgres 10.

Might be nice to make a note on the web page so people realize some
distro's aren't supported fully instead of (if they're like me)
wondering "why don't these instructions work? It says to run  apt-get
install postgresql-12" ....

Thanks!

Re: deb repo doesn't have latest. or possible to update web page?

From
Magnus Hagander

As a note I tried to use the deb repo today:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/debian/

with an old box on Wheezy.
It only seems to have binaries up to postgres 10.

Might be nice to make a note on the web page so people realize some
distro's aren't supported fully instead of (if they're like me)
wondering "why don't these instructions work? It says to run  apt-get
install postgresql-12" ...

The page lists which distros *are* supported. You can assume that anything *not* listed is unsupported.

In the case of wheezy, whatever was the latest when it stopped being supported, is still there. Which I guess can cause some confusing if you just run the script without reading the note that's there. I'm unsure how to fix that though.

--

Date:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 11:23 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 7:04 PM Roger Pack <rogerdpack2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As a note I tried to use the deb repo today:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/debian/
>>
>> with an old box on Wheezy.
>> It only seems to have binaries up to postgres 10.
>>
>> Might be nice to make a note on the web page so people realize some
>> distro's aren't supported fully instead of (if they're like me)
>> wondering "why don't these instructions work? It says to run  apt-get
>> install postgresql-12" ...
>

> The page lists which distros *are* supported. You can assume that anything *not* listed is unsupported.
>
> In the case of wheezy, whatever was the latest when it stopped being supported, is still there. Which I guess can
causesome confusing if you just run the script without reading the note that's there. I'm unsure how to fix that
though.

The confusion in my case is I wasn't sure why my distro was named,
tried the instructions and it...half worked.

Maybe something like this?

The PostgreSQL apt repository supports the currently supported stable
versions of Debian with the latest versions of Postgres:

xxx
xxx

Older versions of Debian may also be supported with older versions of Postgres.

Or get rid of the wheezy side altogether?

Cheers!

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:38 PM Roger Pack <rogerdpack2@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 11:23 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 7:04 PM Roger Pack <rogerdpack2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As a note I tried to use the deb repo today:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/debian/
>>
>> with an old box on Wheezy.
>> It only seems to have binaries up to postgres 10.
>>
>> Might be nice to make a note on the web page so people realize some
>> distro's aren't supported fully instead of (if they're like me)
>> wondering "why don't these instructions work? It says to run  apt-get
>> install postgresql-12" ...
>

> The page lists which distros *are* supported. You can assume that anything *not* listed is unsupported.
>
> In the case of wheezy, whatever was the latest when it stopped being supported, is still there. Which I guess can cause some confusing if you just run the script without reading the note that's there. I'm unsure how to fix that though.

The confusion in my case is I wasn't sure why my distro was named,
tried the instructions and it...half worked.

Maybe something like this?

The PostgreSQL apt repository supports the currently supported stable
versions of Debian with the latest versions of Postgres:

xxx
xxx

Older versions of Debian may also be supported with older versions of Postgres.

Well, they are not supported. The packages may be there, but they are not supported. I think that's an important distinction. Maybe add something like "some packages may be available for older versions of Debian, but are not supported" or such?

Or get rid of the wheezy side altogether?

Or move it to the archive. I'm not entirely sure why it's still there. Christoph?

--

Re: deb repo doesn't have latest. or possible to update web page?

From
Christoph Berg
Re: Magnus Hagander
> > The confusion in my case is I wasn't sure why my distro was named,
> > tried the instructions and it...half worked.
> >
> > Maybe something like this?
> >
> > The PostgreSQL apt repository supports the currently supported stable
> > versions of Debian with the latest versions of Postgres:
> >
> > xxx
> > xxx
> >
> > Older versions of Debian may also be supported with older versions of
> > Postgres.
> >

> Well, they are not supported. The packages may be there, but they are not
> supported. I think that's an important distinction. Maybe add something
> like "some packages may be available for older versions of Debian, but are
> not supported" or such?

We have had "Packages for older PostgreSQL versions and older
Debian/Ubuntu distributions will continue to stay in the repository,
but will in most cases not be updated anymore." right in the first
paragraph on the front-page since about the first revision.

> Or get rid of the wheezy side altogether?
> >

> Or move it to the archive. I'm not entirely sure why it's still there.
> Christoph?

Last time I checked there were still some docker containers using
wheezy to pull older PG server versions. Though I guess it's time to
put it to rest now that jessie is also EOL.

Christoph

Re: deb repo doesn't have latest. or possible to update web page?

From
Christoph Berg
Re: Magnus Hagander
> Well, they are not supported. The packages may be there, but they are not
> supported. I think that's an important distinction. Maybe add something
> like "some packages may be available for older versions of Debian, but are
> not supported" or such?

I'm talking about https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt, which is where
you get redirected if you go to http://apt.postgresql.org.

The /download page should have a similar note I think.

Christoph

Re: deb repo doesn't have latest. or possible to update web page?

From
Magnus Hagander

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 1:34 PM Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
Re: Magnus Hagander
> Well, they are not supported. The packages may be there, but they are not
> supported. I think that's an important distinction. Maybe add something
> like "some packages may be available for older versions of Debian, but are
> not supported" or such?

I'm talking about https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt, which is where
you get redirected if you go to http://apt.postgresql.org.

The /download page should have a similar note I think.

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to, and that's the one that I think the vast majority of people see.

Maybe something similar to your line, but with a link, e.g. something like
"Note! Packages for older versions of PostgreSQL or the operating system may remain in the repository, but are not supported and will in most cases not be updated anymore. For details, see the apt repository wiki page."

with the wiki page being a link. I do like to get the word "unsupported" in there as well, unless you think that's a bad idea?

--

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 1:33 PM Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
> Or get rid of the wheezy side altogether?
> >

> Or move it to the archive. I'm not entirely sure why it's still there.
> Christoph?

Last time I checked there were still some docker containers using
wheezy to pull older PG server versions. Though I guess it's time to
put it to rest now that jessie is also EOL.

Yeah, for wheezy I think that's entirely reasonable -- there's a limit how many "old" makes sense in oldoldoldoldoldstable :)