"stable storage"

Date:
I know we talk about durability a lot, but it seems we mention "stable
storage" much more often than "durable storage" in our docs:

    $ grep 'stable storage' *.sgml
    config.sgml:        necessarily reached stable storage on the standby.
    monitoring.sgml:       stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:       to reach stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for a relation data file to reach stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:       stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for changes to a relation data file to reach stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for data to reach stable storage while adding a line to the
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for data to reach stable storage while creating the data
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for logical rewrite mappings to reach stable storage
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for mapping data to reach stable storage during a logical
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for the relation map file to reach stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for a replication slot control file to reach stable storage
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for SLRU data to reach stable storage during a checkpoint
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for SLRU data to reach stable storage following a page
    monitoring.sgml:       stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:       replication to reach stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for a two phase state file to reach stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for WAL to reach stable storage during
    monitoring.sgml:       reach stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for a WAL file to reach stable storage.</entry>
    monitoring.sgml:      <entry>Waiting for data to reach stable storage while assigning a new

    $ grep 'durable storage' *.sgml
    config.sgml:        kernel to durable storage.  This can be done while the cluster
    func.sgml:    location known to be written to durable storage. The write location is the

Is "stable storage" the same as "durable storage"?  Should we rename
"stable storage" mentions to "durable storage"?

Re: "stable storage"

Date:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:52:22PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I know we talk about durability a lot, but it seems we mention "stable
> storage" much more often than "durable storage" in our docs:
> Is "stable storage" the same as "durable storage"?  Should we rename
> "stable storage" mentions to "durable storage"?

I have developed the attached doc patch to change "stable storage" to
"durable storage".

Re: "stable storage"

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 3:12 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Is "stable storage" the same as "durable storage"?  Should we rename
> > "stable storage" mentions to "durable storage"?
>
> I have developed the attached doc patch to change "stable storage" to
> "durable storage".

I agree that this is an improvement. The word "durable" is more
descriptive than "stable". (The word "stable" might be more
recognizable, but that in itself doesn't make the text any clearer.)

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: "stable storage"

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Peter Geoghegan (pg@bowt.ie) wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 3:12 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > > Is "stable storage" the same as "durable storage"?  Should we rename
> > > "stable storage" mentions to "durable storage"?
> >
> > I have developed the attached doc patch to change "stable storage" to
> > "durable storage".
>
> I agree that this is an improvement. The word "durable" is more
> descriptive than "stable". (The word "stable" might be more
> recognizable, but that in itself doesn't make the text any clearer.)

+1.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment

Re: "stable storage"

Date:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 11:44:44PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Peter Geoghegan (pg@bowt.ie) wrote:
> > >
> > > I have developed the attached doc patch to change "stable storage" to
> > > "durable storage".
> >
> > I agree that this is an improvement. The word "durable" is more
> > descriptive than "stable". (The word "stable" might be more
> > recognizable, but that in itself doesn't make the text any clearer.)
>
> +1.
>
> Thanks,

Applied.