Reading pg mailing lists from mobile device ?

From
legrand legrand
Date:
Hello,

I have been using https://www.postgresql-archive.org/ (with an Ads bloker)
and/or
(that is the same without Ads) for a long time from my mobile phone.

It seems that this service will be stopped ...

What are the best(s) solution(s) to be able to see all messages posted in a mailling list (or a selection of lists)
*sorted by reverse date* in a *mobile* friendly maner ?

Thanks in advance for your advices ;o)
Regards
PAscal

Re: Reading pg mailing lists from mobile device ?

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On 6/14/20 4:26 PM, legrand legrand wrote:

> What are the best(s) solution(s) to be able to see all messages posted
> in a mailling list (or a selection of lists)
> *sorted by reverse date* in a *mobile* friendly maner ?

https://www.postgresql.org/list/

Significant work was done to make the viewing of the mailing lists much
more mobile friendly during the last redesign of the website. There are
some elements that still need some work (e.g. the "email selector"
widget within a thread), but the archives are usable on a mobile phone.

Looking at the overall traffic numbers to the site, the overall mobile
traffic is insignificant (< 5%). Even looking at data prior to travel
restrictions being implemented, the amount of mobile traffic only rises
to 6%. Breaking it down into the mailing list, the mobile usage numbers
drop off significantly further indicating that there is not nearly any
usage of the archives on the phone.

Now, if this is a result of people feeling that the archives are
unusable on a mobile device but they have a need for it to be improved
on the phone, I'd love to get more feedback.

For the sorting, there has not been any requests for having the message
appear in reverse order, at least none that I'm aware of. Like the
above, I'd like to better understand the use case.

There are certainly some optimizations we could make to message sorting
/ filtering via the search, and perhaps that's an area we should target
next.

Information about the project that handles the archives, pgarchives, can
also be found on this page, if there are parts you are interested in
contributing to:

https://www.postgresql.org/developer/related-projects/

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment

RE: Reading pg mailing lists from mobile device ?

From
legrand legrand
Date:
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for this detailled answer.

and even more

That works fine when searching a specific subject.

But my need is different, it is simply to get "news" and
see what where the latests messages
  • sorted by "date" desc,
  • "within last day"
  • optionally restricted to a mailing list
  • (my need being more excluding mailing list(s) ...)
And this is not possible or difficult here because:

1/ "Search term" is mandatory.
I have tried some kind of wild-card (*, %, 2020, from, @ ...) without success
(and now that I know where is the source code, I will have a look inside).

2/ when arriving to the result list, all the space is consummed by the message-ID URL,
that is useless on mobile device, where user are searching few informations like:
  • message title
  • message last author and date
  • mailing list name

3/ when entering the message (that also contains the message-id, and here it is the proper place),
all the space is consummed by "quick links",
that is useless in mobile device o:( home logo is enough)

Regarding Mobile usage stats, maybe we could ask to nabble ? I would also be pleased
to hear from others, and confirm that this use case is not so crazy (for those travelling without
their notebook for exemple).

Date:
On 6/15/20 4:17 PM, legrand legrand wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thank you for this detailled answer.
>
> I know https://www.postgresql.org/list/
> and even more
> https://www.postgresql.org/search/?m=1&q=
>
> That works fine when searching a specific subject.
>
> But my need is different, it is simply to get "news" and
> *see what where the latests messages
> *
>
>   * *sorted by "date" desc,
>     *
>   * *"within last day"*
>   * *optionally restricted to a mailing list*
>   * *(my need being more excluding mailing list(s) ...)
>     *

If I click into the archives, I can get exactly that:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-hackers/since/202006150000/

in this case, all the email from pgsql-hackers for the last day.

I'm still confident we can make the search/filtering experience better,
particularly the results, but we do provide a path for that use case
today (outside of the "reverse ordering").

Jonathan

Attachment

Date:
On 6/15/20 5:43 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 6/15/20 4:17 PM, legrand legrand wrote:
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> Thank you for this detailled answer.
>>
>> I know https://www.postgresql.org/list/
>> and even more
>> https://www.postgresql.org/search/?m=1&q=
>>
>> That works fine when searching a specific subject.
>>
>> But my need is different, it is simply to get "news" and
>> *see what where the latests messages
>> *
>>
>>   * *sorted by "date" desc,
>>     *
>>   * *"within last day"*
>>   * *optionally restricted to a mailing list*
>>   * *(my need being more excluding mailing list(s) ...)
>>     *
>
> If I click into the archives, I can get exactly that:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-hackers/since/202006150000/
>
> in this case, all the email from pgsql-hackers for the last day.
>
> I'm still confident we can make the search/filtering experience better,
> particularly the results, but we do provide a path for that use case
> today (outside of the "reverse ordering").

I did go to the aforementioned website and played around with its search
interface, so I do understand what you are looking for. We do need to
make some improvements to the several search results experience, and
likely elements of the archives interface as well.

Jonathan

Attachment

Date:
> I did go to the aforementioned website and played around with its search
> interface, so I do understand what you are looking for. We do need to
> make some improvements to the several search results experience, and
> likely elements of the archives interface as well.

> Jonathan

Thank you
I'll have a look at pgarchives.

Regards