How to insert default value with libpq?

From
sanpi+postgersql@homecomputing.fr
Date:
Hello,

I would like to insert the default value for a field with libpq, but
inserting null or "default" doesn’t work.

I attached a simple example also available here
https://gitlab.com/snippets/1970590

Is it possible?

Attachment

Re: How to insert default value with libpq?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 2020-04-27 15:02, sanpi+postgersql@homecomputing.fr wrote:
> I would like to insert the default value for a field with libpq, but
> inserting null or "default" doesn’t work.

You cannot represent that using query parameters (PQexecParams).  Query
parameters always mean, use this rather than the default value.

To do what you want either write DEFAULT or leave off the column
altogether, for example

     INSERT INTO test (id) VALUES (DEFAULT)

but this needs to be pasted into the query string, not passed as a
parameter.

Date:
Le 28/04/2020 à 16:25, Peter Eisentraut a écrit :
> but this needs to be pasted into the query string, not passed as a
> parameter.

Fine, thank you for your help!