Re: How to insert default value with libpq? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: How to insert default value with libpq?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On 2020-04-27 15:02, sanpi+postgersql@homecomputing.fr wrote:
> I would like to insert the default value for a field with libpq, but
> inserting null or "default" doesn’t work.

You cannot represent that using query parameters (PQexecParams).  Query
parameters always mean, use this rather than the default value.

To do what you want either write DEFAULT or leave off the column
altogether, for example

     INSERT INTO test (id) VALUES (DEFAULT)

but this needs to be pasted into the query string, not passed as a
parameter.