Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
github kran
Date:
Hello PostgreSQL Team,
I would like to know what would be the best way to do Database migration from PostgreSQL 9.6 engine to 10.6 by creating a new cluster in 10.6 and then copy data.

Size of the cluster is 3.8 TB.

1) It would be a new cluster we want to create on 10.6 and then copy data form 9.6 and shutdown 9.6
2) Cluster today contains 1 master instance and another instance for reader
3) Can this be done without a downtime ?  what are the options I have to do this without making this complicated . We have about 30 -40 tables to do the migration.

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks,
Kranthi

Re: Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
Andreas Kretschmer

Am 09.12.19 um 16:43 schrieb github kran:
> Hello PostgreSQL Team,
> I would like to know what would be the best way to do Database
> migration from PostgreSQL 9.6 engine to 10.6 by creating a new cluster
> in 10.6 and then copy data.
>
> Size of the cluster is 3.8 TB.
>
> 1) It would be a new cluster we want to create on 10.6 and then copy
> data form 9.6 and shutdown 9.6
> 2) Cluster today contains 1 master instance and another instance for
> reader
> 3) Can this be done without a downtime ?  what are the options I have
> to do this without making this complicated . We have about 30 -40
> tables to do the migration.

yes, you can use pg_logical from us (2ndquadrant). Please visit our
homepage, there you can find it for 9.6. There are also some
blogs-postings about all that in our blog.

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
github kran
Date:
Great, thanks Andreas, So this seems to be a good feature using the core concept of replication. Can I use this extension and do the major upgrade without paying ?.

Am 09.12.19 um 23:37 schrieb github kran:
> Great, thanks Andreas, So this seems to be a good feature using the
> core concept of replication. Can I use this extension and do the major
> upgrade without paying ?.

yes, this extension is free.

Regards, Andreas

--

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 2:53 AM Andreas Kretschmer <andreas@a-kretschmer.de> wrote:

Am 09.12.19 um 23:37 schrieb github kran:
> Great, thanks Andreas, So this seems to be a good feature using the
> core concept of replication. Can I use this extension and do the major
> upgrade without paying ?.

yes, this extension is free.

Regards, Andreas

  Hello Andreas,
   As a follow up on this thread, I want to ask if this extension works on postgreSQL version 10.6 ? and also does this extension can be installed on Aurora version of PostGreSQL.?.  if it doesnt do you have any
   other alternative to make this work on Aurora engine ?

   Thanks !!

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
github kran
Date:
Sorry for the confusion, I tried to install this extension on 9.6 and it seems to be not working. Does 9.6 PostGreSQL supports logical replication ?

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:56 PM github kran <githubkran@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 2:53 AM Andreas Kretschmer <andreas@a-kretschmer.de> wrote:

Am 09.12.19 um 23:37 schrieb github kran:
> Great, thanks Andreas, So this seems to be a good feature using the
> core concept of replication. Can I use this extension and do the major
> upgrade without paying ?.

yes, this extension is free.

Regards, Andreas

  Hello Andreas,
   As a follow up on this thread, I want to ask if this extension works on postgreSQL version 10.6 ? and also does this extension can be installed on Aurora version of PostGreSQL.?.  if it doesnt do you have any
   other alternative to make this work on Aurora engine ?

   Thanks !!

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
Michael Lewis
Date:
Sorry for the confusion, I tried to install this extension on 9.6 and it seems to be not working. Does 9.6 PostGreSQL supports logical replication ?

No. See the top of this page with supported versions listed. Prior to v10, pg_logical extension was often used.

Re: Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
github kran
Date:
Great I see its supported based on the link but the problem is we are locked into a Aurora RDS and we can't use logical replication on that engine. Any thoughts that we can use some alternate mechanism to
migrate the delta data from database 1 ( Running 9.6) to database 2 ( Running 10.6 ) after we do the pg_dump and pg_restore ?.

Sorry for the confusion, I tried to install this extension on 9.6 and it seems to be not working. Does 9.6 PostGreSQL supports logical replication ?

No. See the top of this page with supported versions listed. Prior to v10, pg_logical extension was often used.

Re: Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
Christophe Pettus

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 15:56, github kran <githubkran@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Great I see its supported based on the link but the problem is we are locked into a Aurora RDS and we can't use
logicalreplication on that engine.

You can use pglogical on RDS PostgreSQL 9.6.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@thebuild.com

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 5:57 PM Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 15:56, github kran <githubkran@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Great I see its supported based on the link but the problem is we are locked into a Aurora RDS and we can't use logical replication on that engine.

You can use pglogical on RDS PostgreSQL 9.6.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@thebuild.com

    You are right on RDS but I believe the problem is on Aurora PostgreSQL where the pglogical throws an error during installation. Are you aware if this works on  Aurora PostGreSQL

Date:
You are right on RDS but I believe the problem is on Aurora PostgreSQL where the pglogical throws an error during installation. Are you aware if this works on  Aurora PostGreSQL

It seems like this question should be sent to AWS support for Aurora if you are wanting to upgrade an Aurora 9.6 instance to 10x also in Aurora.

Re: Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
github kran

You are right on RDS but I believe the problem is on Aurora PostgreSQL where the pglogical throws an error during installation. Are you aware if this works on  Aurora PostGreSQL

It seems like this question should be sent to AWS support for Aurora if you are wanting to upgrade an Aurora 9.6 instance to 10x also in Aurora.

Yes you are right on that I dont believe in AWS support group but rather I feel this community has more experience and have more knowledgeable folks. I reached out to AWS support and got a reply as 'NO' ( This is not supported from Aurora PostgreSQL)

Re: Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
Olivier Gautherot

You are right on RDS but I believe the problem is on Aurora PostgreSQL where the pglogical throws an error during installation. Are you aware if this works on  Aurora PostGreSQL

It seems like this question should be sent to AWS support for Aurora if you are wanting to upgrade an Aurora 9.6 instance to 10x also in Aurora.

Yes you are right on that I dont believe in AWS support group but rather I feel this community has more experience and have more knowledgeable folks. I reached out to AWS support and got a reply as 'NO' ( This is not supported from Aurora PostgreSQL)

As far as I understand, Aurora is a "PostgreSQL-compatible" product. RDS is a PostgreSQL database engine with limitations imposed by AWS. This group will help you on standard installations, can guide you on standard features but will send you to AWS when the questions come down to proprietary features or configurations.

Re: Upgrade PostgreSQL 9.6 to 10.6

From
"Jernigan, Kevin"

You are right on RDS but I believe the problem is on Aurora PostgreSQL where the pglogical throws an error during installation. Are you aware if this works on  Aurora PostGreSQL

It seems like this question should be sent to AWS support for Aurora if you are wanting to upgrade an Aurora 9.6 instance to 10x also in Aurora.

Yes you are right on that I dont believe in AWS support group but rather I feel this community has more experience and have more knowledgeable folks. I reached out to AWS support and got a reply as 'NO' ( This is not supported from Aurora PostgreSQL)

You can reach out to me directly for help – I am the PM for Aurora PostgreSQL at AWS.

Kevin Jernigan

Principal Product Manager, Amazon Aurora with PostgreSQL compatibility

415-710-8828 (m)

27 Melcher Street

Boston, MA 02210