pgsql: Fix page modification outside of critical section in GIN

From
Alexander Korotkov
Date:
Fix page modification outside of critical section in GIN

By oversight 52ac6cd2d0 makes ginDeletePage() sets pd_prune_xid of page to be
deleted before entering the critical section.  It appears that only versions 11
and later were affected by this oversight.

Backpatch-through: 11

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b107140804817cc30a4069b1bb5545aa3ea0ce6c

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/access/gin/ginvacuum.c | 6 +++---

Re: pgsql: Fix page modification outside of critical section in GIN

Date:
Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov@postgresql.org> writes:
> Fix page modification outside of critical section in GIN
> By oversight 52ac6cd2d0 makes ginDeletePage() sets pd_prune_xid of page to be
> deleted before entering the critical section.  It appears that only versions 11
> and later were affected by this oversight.

I happened to notice, while reviewing stuff for the release notes,
that this patch does not do what the commit message says.  The
previous code modified the pd_prune_xid of the "dBuffer" page,
but now it's modifying the pd_prune_xid of the "lBuffer" page.
Is that actually correct?  If it isn't, maybe you need to move
the GinPageSetDeleteXid call down a bit further, next to the
GinPageSetDeleted call (by which time the "page" variable has
been restored to the right thing).

Another idea which would be safer if a bit more invasive is to stop
using the single "page" variable for two purposes.

            regards, tom lane

I wrote:
> Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Fix page modification outside of critical section in GIN

> I happened to notice, while reviewing stuff for the release notes,
> that this patch does not do what the commit message says.  The
> previous code modified the pd_prune_xid of the "dBuffer" page,
> but now it's modifying the pd_prune_xid of the "lBuffer" page.
> Is that actually correct?

Since we're rapidly approaching the wrap deadline for this week's
releases, I took it upon myself to review this code more carefully,
and concluded that indeed it isn't correct.  I pushed a fix that
moves the GinPageSetDeleteXid call again.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 8:05 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Alexander Korotkov <akorotkov@postgresql.org> writes:
> >> Fix page modification outside of critical section in GIN
>
> > I happened to notice, while reviewing stuff for the release notes,
> > that this patch does not do what the commit message says.  The
> > previous code modified the pd_prune_xid of the "dBuffer" page,
> > but now it's modifying the pd_prune_xid of the "lBuffer" page.
> > Is that actually correct?
>
> Since we're rapidly approaching the wrap deadline for this week's
> releases, I took it upon myself to review this code more carefully,
> and concluded that indeed it isn't correct.  I pushed a fix that
> moves the GinPageSetDeleteXid call again.

Sorry for delayed response.  Yes, my fix for oversight contain
oversight itself.  I confirm the fix you've committed is correct.
Thank you!

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: pgsql: Fix page modification outside of critical section in GIN

Date:
Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> Sorry for delayed response.  Yes, my fix for oversight contain
> oversight itself.  I confirm the fix you've committed is correct.
> Thank you!

Thanks for checking!

            regards, tom lane