backing up the data from a single table?

From
stan
Date:
My development methodology is to create scripts that init the db, and load
test data, as I make changes.

Now, I am starting to move toward a test instance with real data. The end
user has provided "real" test data, n spreadsheets. I have the inputing of
data from these working OK. (takes a bit of hand work). What I would like
to do, is  continue to init the "test" database. To make that easy, I would
like to be able to "export" individual tables, so I can use the scripts to
reload them. I prefer not to have to convert these to my load script
format.

Is there a way to "export" a single table, that can be easily re
"imported"?

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: backing up the data from a single table?

From
Ray O'Donnell
Date:
On 13/09/2019 15:13, stan wrote:
> My development methodology is to create scripts that init the db, and load
> test data, as I make changes.
>
> Now, I am starting to move toward a test instance with real data. The end
> user has provided "real" test data, n spreadsheets. I have the inputing of
> data from these working OK. (takes a bit of hand work). What I would like
> to do, is  continue to init the "test" database. To make that easy, I would
> like to be able to "export" individual tables, so I can use the scripts to
> reload them. I prefer not to have to convert these to my load script
> format.
>
> Is there a way to "export" a single table, that can be easily re
> "imported"?

Yes, absolutely:

   pg_dump -t <table-name> (etc)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
ray@rodonnell.ie

Re: backing up the data from a single table?

From
Ron
Date:
On 9/13/19 9:13 AM, stan wrote:
> My development methodology is to create scripts that init the db, and load
> test data, as I make changes.
>
> Now, I am starting to move toward a test instance with real data. The end
> user has provided "real" test data, n spreadsheets. I have the inputing of
> data from these working OK. (takes a bit of hand work). What I would like
> to do, is  continue to init the "test" database. To make that easy, I would
> like to be able to "export" individual tables, so I can use the scripts to
> reload them. I prefer not to have to convert these to my load script
> format.
>
> Is there a way to "export" a single table, that can be easily re
> "imported"?

The COPY command is what you want.

http://postgresguide.com/utilities/copy.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/sql-copy.html

Re: backing up the data from a single table?

From
Hans Schou
Date:
Is there a way to "export" a single table, that can be easily re
"imported"?

Export:

pg_dump --table=foo > foo.sql

Import:

cat foo.sql | psql

Re: backing up the data from a single table?

From
Olivier Gautherot
Date:
Hi Stan,

My development methodology is to create scripts that init the db, and load
test data, as I make changes.

Now, I am starting to move toward a test instance with real data. The end
user has provided "real" test data, n spreadsheets. I have the inputing of
data from these working OK. (takes a bit of hand work). What I would like
to do, is  continue to init the "test" database. To make that easy, I would
like to be able to "export" individual tables, so I can use the scripts to
reload them. I prefer not to have to convert these to my load script
format.

Is there a way to "export" a single table, that can be easily re
"imported"?

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin

It may be a strange suggestion but did you consider containers like Docker? It's been a great help on a 100GB+ test database. Successful changes were committed, failed changes were rolled back creating a new instance based on the same image (with data preloaded). It takes seconds to do a rollback.

Olivier