Which version to upgrade upto

From
Vikas Sharma
Date:
Hi All,

We are using postgres 9.5.9 in streaming replication with repmgr.  The project is now considering to update postgreSQL instances to latest versions.

I am looking for which version to upgrade to. I can see the current version in postgres 11 is 11.4, and 10.9 in 10.

How to decide on which version we should use?

Should I go for 10.9 or 11.2? The architects are suggesting 11.2

Please advise.

Regards
Vikas

Re: Which version to upgrade upto

From
Luca Ferrari
Date:
On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 4:55 PM Vikas Sharma <shavikas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I go for 10.9 or 11.2? The architects are suggesting 11.2

Moving fom 9.5 requires in any case a major version upgrade, therefore
I would go for the latest one, 11.4.
Are there any particular needs that feed your doubts about the version?

Luca

Re: Which version to upgrade upto

From
Vikas Sharma
Date:
The architects and developers have perception that the latest release always will have bugs and others might be using in production. They feel 11.2 will be better bet than 11.4.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019, 16:24 Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 4:55 PM Vikas Sharma <shavikas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I go for 10.9 or 11.2? The architects are suggesting 11.2

Moving fom 9.5 requires in any case a major version upgrade, therefore
I would go for the latest one, 11.4.
Are there any particular needs that feed your doubts about the version?

Luca

Re: Which version to upgrade upto

From
Rob Sargent
Date:
On 7/31/19 9:57 AM, Vikas Sharma wrote:
> The architects and developers have perception that the latest release
> always will have bugs and others might be using in production. They
> feel 11.2 will be better bet than 11.4.

Except of course for the bugs fixed in .3 and .4.

Re: Which version to upgrade upto

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 8:58 AM Vikas Sharma <shavikas@gmail.com> wrote:
The architects and developers have perception that the latest release always will have bugs and others might be using in production. They feel 11.2 will be better bet than 11.4.

Beginning with version 10 the second position in the version number became the patch release version so both 11.2 and 11.4 are the same major version (v11) and 11.2 is guaranteed to be more buggy than 11.4.  If you wish to be cautious then you should upgrade to the v10 series which is presently at 10.9

David J.

Re: Which version to upgrade upto

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Vikas Sharma schrieb am 31.07.2019 um 17:57:
> The architects and developers have perception that the latest release
> always will have bugs and others might be using in production. They
> feel 11.2 will be better bet than 11.4.

You should always use the latest minor version, so 11.4 is preferred over 11.2

Quote from the homepage[1]

>> For minor releases, the community considers not upgrading to be riskier than upgrading

So definitely go with 11.4

If you want to see how many (and which) bugs have been fixed between 11.2 and 11.4 you can check:

    https://why-upgrade.depesz.com/show?from=11.2&to=11.4&keywords=

Thomas

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

Re: Which version to upgrade upto

Date:
Vikas Sharma <shavikas@gmail.com> writes:
> The architects and developers have perception that the latest release
> always will have bugs and others might be using in production. They feel
> 11.2 will be better bet than 11.4.

Your architects are apparently completely unfamiliar with Postgres.
Tell them to read
https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

particularly the bit about

    While upgrading will always contain some level of risk, PostgreSQL
    minor releases fix only frequently-encountered bugs, security issues,
    and data corruption problems to reduce the risk associated with
    upgrading. For minor releases, the community considers not upgrading
    to be riskier than upgrading.

It is true that we've sometimes accidentally introduced regressions
into minor releases --- we're all mortal.  But to focus on that case
and ignore all the genuine bug fixes in each minor release is flat out
folly.

            regards, tom lane