Re: Which version to upgrade upto - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Which version to upgrade upto
Date
List pgsql-general
Vikas Sharma <shavikas@gmail.com> writes:
> The architects and developers have perception that the latest release
> always will have bugs and others might be using in production. They feel
> 11.2 will be better bet than 11.4.

Your architects are apparently completely unfamiliar with Postgres.
Tell them to read
https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

particularly the bit about

    While upgrading will always contain some level of risk, PostgreSQL
    minor releases fix only frequently-encountered bugs, security issues,
    and data corruption problems to reduce the risk associated with
    upgrading. For minor releases, the community considers not upgrading
    to be riskier than upgrading.

It is true that we've sometimes accidentally introduced regressions
into minor releases --- we're all mortal.  But to focus on that case
and ignore all the genuine bug fixes in each minor release is flat out
folly.

            regards, tom lane