Is ParsePrepareRecord dead function

From
vignesh C
Date:
Hi,

I could not locate the caller of ParsePrepareRecord function in twophase.c.
Any idea how it gets called?
or
Is it a dead function?

Regards,
Vignesh

Re: Is ParsePrepareRecord dead function

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 4:10 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could not locate the caller of ParsePrepareRecord function in twophase.c.
> Any idea how it gets called?
> or
> Is it a dead function?

It looks like it's not only dead, but stillborn.  Commit
1eb6d6527aae264b3e0b9c95aa70bb7a594ad1cf introduced it but without
introducing any code that called it, and nothing has changed since
then.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 8:24 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 4:10 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I could not locate the caller of ParsePrepareRecord function in twophase.c.
> > Any idea how it gets called?
> > or
> > Is it a dead function?
>
> It looks like it's not only dead, but stillborn.  Commit
> 1eb6d6527aae264b3e0b9c95aa70bb7a594ad1cf introduced it but without
> introducing any code that called it, and nothing has changed since
> then.

I feel the code can be safely removed.
Patch for the same is attached.

Regards,
Vignesh

Re: Is ParsePrepareRecord dead function

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2019-Jul-29, vignesh C wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 8:24 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 4:10 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I could not locate the caller of ParsePrepareRecord function in twophase.c.
> > > Any idea how it gets called?
> > > or
> > > Is it a dead function?
> >
> > It looks like it's not only dead, but stillborn.  Commit
> > 1eb6d6527aae264b3e0b9c95aa70bb7a594ad1cf introduced it but without
> > introducing any code that called it, and nothing has changed since
> > then.
>
> I feel the code can be safely removed.
> Patch for the same is attached.

I think there's a patch from Fujii Masao that touches that?  Might be
premature to remove it.

Re: Is ParsePrepareRecord dead function

From
Amit Kapila
Date:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 2:34 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Jul-29, vignesh C wrote:

> > > It looks like it's not only dead, but stillborn.  Commit
> > > 1eb6d6527aae264b3e0b9c95aa70bb7a594ad1cf introduced it but without
> > > introducing any code that called it, and nothing has changed since
> > > then.
> >
> > I feel the code can be safely removed.
> > Patch for the same is attached.
>
> I think there's a patch from Fujii Masao that touches that?  Might be
> premature to remove it.

Okay, can you point to that patch?  Recently, Robert/Thomas has raised
a comment on undo machinery wherein we are considering to store
FullTransactionId in two-phase file.  So, in that connection, we need
to modify this function as well.  It is not impossible to test some
unused function (we can try it by superficially calling it at
someplace in code for the purpose of test), but it would have been
better if it is used in someplace.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmob1Oby7Wc5ryB_VBccU9N%2BuSKjXXocgT9dY_edfxqSA8Q%40mail.gmail.com
--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Date:

https://postgr.es/m/CAHGQGwFQgRWMOoRfbOOHXy1VdGM-YkwdwvWr_bD0TQXFTjD9Tw@mail.gmail.com

Re: Is ParsePrepareRecord dead function

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 08:42:06AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> Okay, can you point to that patch?

Here you go:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/23/2105/
The thread is mostly waiting after Fujii-san for an update.
--
Michael

Attachment

Date:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 2:34 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Jul-29, vignesh C wrote:

> > > It looks like it's not only dead, but stillborn.  Commit
> > > 1eb6d6527aae264b3e0b9c95aa70bb7a594ad1cf introduced it but without
> > > introducing any code that called it, and nothing has changed since
> > > then.
> >
> > I feel the code can be safely removed.
> > Patch for the same is attached.
>
> I think there's a patch from Fujii Masao that touches that?  Might be
> premature to remove it.

Ok, it makes sense not to remove it when there is some work being done in
different thread.

Regards,
Vignesh