DRY up GUI wiki pages

From
Roger Pack
Date:
I learned today there are "two" wiki pages for GUI clients:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Clients

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools

I'd like to DRY them up so there aren't two lists which confuses
newcomers.  Any objections?  If not I'll probably make one of those
pages into GUI's and one into "non GUI's" or something like that.
Cheers!

Re: DRY up GUI wiki pages

Date:
On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 09:08:30AM -0600, Roger Pack wrote:
> I learned today there are "two" wiki pages for GUI clients:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Clients
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools
>
> I'd like to DRY them up so there aren't two lists which confuses
> newcomers.  Any objections?  If not I'll probably make one of those
> pages into GUI's and one into "non GUI's" or something like that.

Agreed, a cleanup would be nice.  :-)

Re: DRY up GUI wiki pages

From
Steve Atkins

> On Jul 10, 2019, at 7:38 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 09:08:30AM -0600, Roger Pack wrote:
>> I learned today there are "two" wiki pages for GUI clients:
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Clients
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools
>>
>> I'd like to DRY them up so there aren't two lists which confuses
>> newcomers.  Any objections?  If not I'll probably make one of those
>> pages into GUI's and one into "non GUI's" or something like that.

I created the first one because the second one was full of old, stale, useless things. I believe that everything valid
onthe second one was added to the first one at the time.

Also look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Design_Tools and https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Documentation_Tools if
you'relooking to combine / divide things.

Cheers,
  Steve

> Agreed, a cleanup would be nice.  :-)
>
> --
>  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
> + As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
> +                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Re: DRY up GUI wiki pages

From
Tony Shelver

I created the first one because the second one was full of old, stale, useless things. I believe that everything valid on the second one was added to the first one at the time.

Also look at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Design_Tools and https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Documentation_Tools if you're looking to combine / divide things.

Cheers,
  Steve

While on the subect, pgmodeler has a change in website:  https://pgmodeler.io/

Re: DRY up GUI wiki pages

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2019-Jul-10, Steve Atkins wrote:

> > On Jul 10, 2019, at 7:38 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> >> I'd like to DRY them up so there aren't two lists which confuses
> >> newcomers.  Any objections?  If not I'll probably make one of those
> >> pages into GUI's and one into "non GUI's" or something like that.
>
> I created the first one because the second one was full of old, stale,
> useless things. I believe that everything valid on the second one was
> added to the first one at the time.

I think we should delete the obsolete pages; maybe make them redirects
to the ones that have been kept up to date.

Re: DRY up GUI wiki pages

From
Roger Pack
Date:
On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 9:49 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > I created the first one because the second one was full of old, stale,
> > useless things. I believe that everything valid on the second one was
> > added to the first one at the time.
>
> I think we should delete the obsolete pages; maybe make them redirects
> to the ones that have been kept up to date.

I attempted to remove "non maintained" projects and DRY'ed up the
pages.  Anyway the wiki refactor is done now, thanks for your help.