Need a DB layout gui

From
David Gauthier
Hi:

I've been poking around https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools to see if there is anything that can read PG metadata in and display it graphically in a gui.  You know, the kind of picture that is 1 block per table with 1->many arrows connecting up the primary/foreign keys of different tables.  SQL Power Architect looked promising, but fails to do the linkage for some PK-FK relationships (buggy?) .

Any suggestions on what might do this?

Re: Need a DB layout gui

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 6/24/19 3:25 PM, David Gauthier wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've been poking around
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools to
> see if there is anything that can read PG metadata in and display it
> graphically in a gui.  You know, the kind of picture that is 1 block per
> table with 1->many arrows connecting up the primary/foreign keys of
> different tables.  SQL Power Architect looked promising, but fails to do
> the linkage for some PK-FK relationships (buggy?) .
>
> Any suggestions on what might do this?

Schemaspy:

http://schemaspy.org/

http://schemaspy.org/sample/relationships.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Need a DB layout gui

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Mon, 24 Jun 2019, David Gauthier wrote:

> I've been poking around
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools
> to see if there is anything that can read PG metadata in and display it
> graphically in a gui. You know, the kind of picture that is 1 block per
> table with 1->many arrows connecting up the primary/foreign keys of
> different tables. SQL Power Architect looked promising, but fails to do
> the linkage for some PK-FK relationships (buggy?) .
>
> Any suggestions on what might do this?

Looks like you want a ER (entity relationship) diagrammer. Take a look at
dbeaver <http://dbeaver.jkiss.org/>.

Rich

Re: Need a DB layout gui

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 6/24/19 3:25 PM, David Gauthier wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've been poking around
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools to
> see if there is anything that can read PG metadata in and display it
> graphically in a gui.  You know, the kind of picture that is 1 block per
> table with 1->many arrows connecting up the primary/foreign keys of
> different tables.  SQL Power Architect looked promising, but fails to do
> the linkage for some PK-FK relationships (buggy?) .
>
> Any suggestions on what might do this?

After my previous post I realized you said GUI:(

Do you want something that you can interact with?

Also SQL Workbench/J will display FK relationships:

http://www.sql-workbench.eu/FkDisplay_png.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Need a DB layout gui

From
Brent Wood

I use Valentina Studio these days...
https://www.valentina-db.com/en/get-free-valentina-studio

Brent Wood

Programme leader: Environmental Information Delivery
NIWA
DDI:  +64 (4) 3860529

Brent Wood
Principal Technician - GIS and Spatial Data Management
Programme Leader - Environmental Information Delivery
T +64-4-386-0529
National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd (NIWA)
301 Evans Bay Parade, Greta Point, Wellington
Connect with NIWA: niwa.co.nz Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Instagram
To ensure compliance with legal requirements and to maintain cyber security standards, NIWA's IT systems are subject to ongoing monitoring, activity logging and auditing. This monitoring and auditing service may be provided by third parties. Such third parties can access information transmitted to, processed by and stored on NIWA's IT systems.

https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sql-workbench.eu%2FFkDisplay_png.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7CBrent.Wood%40niwa.co.nz%7C9dc698049dda43b64ddb08d6f8f4adec%7C41caed736a0c468aba499ff6aafd1c77%7C0%7C0%7C636970127137909001&amp;sdata=GsU9%2FGJRTK%2B0l1UDKTgVAxI6hyCWPsfxO7iMZBQPzFo%3D&amp;reserved=0

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Attachment

Re: Need a DB layout gui

From
Tim Clarke
Date:
I've been enjoying dbeaver for this

Tim Clarke
IT Director
Direct: +44 (0)1376 504510 | Mobile: +44 (0)7887 563420

On 24/06/2019 23:38, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 6/24/19 3:25 PM, David Gauthier wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I've been poking around
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools to
>> see if there is anything that can read PG metadata in and display it
>> graphically in a gui.  You know, the kind of picture that is 1 block
>> per table with 1->many arrows connecting up the primary/foreign keys
>> of different tables.  SQL Power Architect looked promising, but fails
>> to do the linkage for some PK-FK relationships (buggy?) .
>>
>> Any suggestions on what might do this?
>
> After my previous post I realized you said GUI:(
>
> Do you want something that you can interact with?
>
> Also SQL Workbench/J will display FK relationships:
>
> http://www.sql-workbench.eu/FkDisplay_png.html

Telephone: Witham: +44(0)1376 503500 | London: +44 (0)20 3009 0853 | Frankfurt: +49 (0)69 7191 6000 | Hong Kong: +852
58031687 | Toronto: +1 647 503 2848

Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/

Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | United Kingdom

________________________________

Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named addressee
youmust not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to
admin@minerva.info<mailto:admin@minerva.info>
Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The
ManifestVoting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here
https://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/for further information.

Re: Need a DB layout gui

From
Jakub Olczyk
Date:
Hello!

On 25/06/2019 00:25, David Gauthier wrote:
> I've been poking
> around https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools to
> see if there is anything that can read PG metadata in and display it
> graphically in a gui.  You know, the kind of picture that is 1 block per
> table with 1->many arrows connecting up the primary/foreign keys of
> different tables.  SQL Power Architect looked promising, but fails to do
> the linkage for some PK-FK relationships (buggy?) .
>
> Any suggestions on what might do this?

Have you tried pgModeler[1]? The current limitation is that stable
version works only up to PostgreSQL 10, as far as I know. But it is
actively maintained, and I guess that support for PostgreSQL 11/12 is
available in the beta build, which means it will be available soon.

[1]: http://www.pgmodeler.io/

Cheers,
Jakub Olczyk

RE: Need a DB layout gui

From
Zahir Lalani
Date:
Navicat - its costs money but always found it very useful for managing various DBs