sequences

From
Karl Martin Skoldebrand

I’m trying to troubleshoot a case where users are getting data from a database, despite they having said they are not interested.

There is a number of sequences in the database in question, but to me they look “empty”, like stubs.

create sequence db_table_seq;

alter sequence db_table_seq owner to dbnameuser;

(all names obfuscated)

To me it look like the only thing going is changing the ownership of the sequence. For unknown reasons.

What is your impression the intention is with this?

//Martin S

Disclaimer:  This message and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and subject to the Tech Mahindra policy statement, you may review the policy at http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html externally http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html internally within TechMahindra.

Re: sequences

From
Thiemo Kellner
Date:
Hi Karl

I did not double check with the doc whether the SQL you posted is
valid (I guess it could by applying the defaults) however I do not see
how sequences would govern the sending of data to users.

Kind regards

Thiemo

Quoting Karl Martin Skoldebrand <KS0C77263@techmahindra.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to troubleshoot a case where users are getting data from
> a database, despite they having said they are not interested.
> There is a number of sequences in the database in question, but to
> me they look "empty", like stubs.
>
> create sequence db_table_seq;
>
> alter sequence db_table_seq owner to dbnameuser;
>
> (all names obfuscated)
>
> To me it look like the only thing going is changing the ownership of
> the sequence. For unknown reasons.
> What is your impression the intention is with this?
>
> //Martin S

> Disclaimer:  This message and the information contained herein is
> proprietary and confidential and subject to the Tech Mahindra policy
> statement, you may review the policy at
> http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html
> <http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html> externally
> http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html
> <http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html> internally within
> TechMahindra.

S/MIME Public Key: https://oc.gelassene-pferde.biz/index.php/s/eJuAUFONag6ofnH
Signal (Safer than WhatsApp): +49 1578 7723737
Handys: +41 78 947 36 21 | +49 1578 772 37 37
Tox-Id:
B7282A9E31D944DDAD1ECC5B33C36AAE80B32D119AB7391D602C937A65E8CA0625C495C5322B

Attachment

Re: sequences

From
Tim Clarke
Date:
There's nothing really "in" a sequence, it just generates numbers for
you, generally for unintelligent primary keys. Those statements
perfectly create new sequences which will start from 1.

Tim Clarke
IT Director
Direct: +44 (0)1376 504510 | Mobile: +44 (0)7887 563420

On 24/06/2019 10:01, Karl Martin Skoldebrand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to troubleshoot a case where users are getting data from a
> database, despite they having said they are not interested.
>
> There is a number of sequences in the database in question, but to me
> they look “empty”, like stubs.
>
> *create sequence *db_table_seq;
>
> *alter sequence *db_table_seq *owner to *dbnameuser;
>
> (all names obfuscated)
>
> To me it look like the only thing going is changing the ownership of
> the sequence. For unknown reasons.
>
> What is your impression the intention is with this?
>
> //Martin S

> Disclaimer:  This message and the information contained herein is
> proprietary and confidential and subject to the Tech Mahindra policy
> statement, you may review the policy at
> http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html externally
> http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html internally within
> TechMahindra.

Telephone: Witham: +44(0)1376 503500 | London: +44 (0)20 3009 0853 | Frankfurt: +49 (0)69 7191 6000 | Hong Kong: +852
58031687 | Toronto: +1 647 503 2848
Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/

Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | United Kingdom

________________________________

Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named addressee
youmust not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to admin@minerva.info<mailto:admin@minerva.info>
Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The
ManifestVoting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here
https://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/for further information.

RE: sequences

From
Karl Martin Skoldebrand
Date:
Thanks for replies.
I looked at some tutorial page and there were more instructions in that, so got confused. I was aware sequences create
integers.