BUG #15735: postgis extension missing

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      15735
Logged by:          ramakrishnan r
Email address:      prakash.ramakrishnan.ap@nielsen.com
PostgreSQL version: 11.2
Operating system:   Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.3 (Maipo

Hi Team,

Am trying to install postgis in community edition getting below error please
do the needful.

-bash-4.2$ ./psql -p 5439
psql (11.2)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# create extension postgis;
ERROR:  could not open extension control file
"/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/postgis.control": No such file or directory
postgres=#
postgres=#

Re: BUG #15735: postgis extension missing

From
bricklen

Have you installed PostGIS in your RedHat server? https://postgis.net/install/. The binary needs to be installed before installing the extension.

Re: BUG #15735: postgis extension missing

From
Prakash Ramakrishnan
Date:
Yes, it's done. Already installed postgis but not able to create the extension.

Date:
Prakash Ramakrishnan <prakash.ramakrishnan.ap@nielsen.com> writes:
>>> postgres=# create extension postgis;
>>> ERROR:  could not open extension control file
>>> "/usr/pgsql-11/share/extension/postgis.control": No such file or directory

> Yes, it's done. Already installed postgis but not able to create the
> extension.

Well, it's not there in the installation you're using.  I speculate
that you are using PGDG server RPMs but installed a Postgis RPM that's
meant to go with Red Hat's postgresql RPMs.  The file layouts are
different between the two sets of RPMs, so mix-and-match won't work.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #15735: postgis extension missing

From
Prakash Ramakrishnan
Date:
Ok, I'll check it out.