Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris

From
Igor Korot
Date:
Hi

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 9:25 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/23/19 8:58 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
> On 3/22/19 11:59 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>
> Hi, ALL,
> I tried to follow an instructions at
> https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.6.1/solaris/solaris11/i386/
> in the README but I received following:
>

> Off hand I would say the user you are running as does not have the permissions to unpack the tarball in the location
youhave selected.

> [code]
> igor@solaris:/usr$ sudo bunzip2 < postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2

You mean even running as "sudo"?

Thank you.

> | tar xpf -
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres: No such file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg: No such file or directory
>

> Yeah. Unpacking it directly into /usr doesn't seem a particularly wise idea.
>
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc: No such file or directory
>
> [snip]
>
> 4/server: No such file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server: No such file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
> file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
> file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> [/code]
>
> And many other like those.
>
> Is the instructions wrong?
>
> I'm trying 9.6.1 because I'm using it on Windows/OSX for libpq.
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris

From
Igor Korot
Date:
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 9:55 AM Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 08:48 Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > [code]
>> > igor@solaris:/usr$ sudo bunzip2 < postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2
>>
>> You mean even running as "sudo"?
>>
>> Thank you.
>

> You ran the bunzip2 as sudo. No reason to do that. I didn't look at the instructions you did but you'd need the tar
commandunder sudo.

Running below command it looks like everything went good.

igor@solaris:/usr$ sudo bunzip2 < postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2
| sudo tar xpf -

Thank you.

>> > tar: postgres: Permission denied
>> > tar: postgres: Permission denied
>> > tar: cannot open postgres: No such file or directory
>> > tar: postgres: Permission denied
>> > tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg: No such file or directory
>> >

>> > Yeah. Unpacking it directly into /usr doesn't seem a particularly wise idea.
>> >
>> > tar: postgres: Permission denied
>> > tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc: No such file or directory
>> >
>> > [snip]
>> >
>> > 4/server: No such file or directory
>> > tar: postgres: Permission denied
>> > tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server: No such file or directory
>> > tar: postgres: Permission denied
>> > tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
>> > file or directory
>> > tar: postgres: Permission denied
>> > tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
>> > file or directory
>> > tar: postgres: Permission denied
>> > [/code]
>> >
>> > And many other like those.
>> >
>> > Is the instructions wrong?
>> >
>> > I'm trying 9.6.1 because I'm using it on Windows/OSX for libpq.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.
>>
> --
>
> "Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its possessors
> into trouble of all kinds."
> -- Samuel Butler

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris

From
Igor Korot
Date:
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 10:17 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/22/19 9:50 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 9:25 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/23/19 8:58 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
> On 3/22/19 11:59 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>
> Hi, ALL,
> I tried to follow an instructions at
> https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.6.1/solaris/solaris11/i386/
> in the README but I received following:
>

> Off hand I would say the user you are running as does not have the permissions to unpack the tarball in the location
youhave selected.

> [code]
> igor@solaris:/usr$ sudo bunzip2 < postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2
>
> You mean even running as "sudo"?
>

> Is that a binary or source tarball?

Binary.

> If binary, is it designed specifically for Solaris?

Yes, the link I posted says so.

> Does the tarball's README tell you to untar it under /usr?

Not specifically. But it mentioned /usr.

Thank you.

> Thank you.
>
> | tar xpf -
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres: No such file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg: No such file or directory
>

> Yeah. Unpacking it directly into /usr doesn't seem a particularly wise idea.
>
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc: No such file or directory
>
> [snip]
>
> 4/server: No such file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server: No such file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
> file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
> file or directory
> tar: postgres: Permission denied
> [/code]
>
> And many other like those.
>
> Is the instructions wrong?
>
> I'm trying 9.6.1 because I'm using it on Windows/OSX for libpq.
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris

From
Igor Korot
Date:
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 10:36 AM Hans Schou <hans.schou@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 3:48 PM Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> You mean even running as "sudo"?
>

> igor@solaris:/usr$ sudo bunzip2 < postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2
> | tar xpf -
>
> No, you are not running tar as sudo.
>
> I would at least suggest:
>   cd /usr/local/src
>   sudo tar --bzip2 xf /usr/postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2
>
> a bit dependen of which tar you have.
>
> otherwise:
>   cd /usr/local/src
>   sudo tar xf <( bzcat /usr/postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2 )

Thank you.

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris

From
Igor Korot
Date:
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 10:42 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 9:25 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Off hand I would say the user you are running as does not have the permissions to unpack the tarball in the
locationyou have selected.

> > You mean even running as "sudo"?
>
> In the above, the "sudo" raises the permissions of the bunzip2 program
> (quite uselessly, AFAICS), while doing nothing for the tar program in
> the other pipe step.  Put the "sudo" in the other pipe step.
>
> (This is assuming that unpacking straight into /usr is actually what
> you want to do.  I share the doubts of the other responders about
> that being a wise procedure.)

Well, as I said I don't need a server - I just need libpq.
So I didn't really care where to install it. ;-)

Thank you.

Date:
Hi, ALL,
I tried to follow an instructions at
https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.6.1/solaris/solaris11/i386/
in the README but I received following:

[code]
igor@solaris:/usr$ sudo bunzip2 < postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2
| tar xpf -
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc/extension: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc/extension: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc/extension: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc/extension: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc/extension: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64: No such file or directory
[...]
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/fe_utils: No such
file or directory
[...]

Adrian Klaver
Date:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris

From
Igor Korot
Date:
Hi, ALL,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 11:32 PM Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

locationyou have selected.

> > > You mean even running as "sudo"?
> >
> > In the above, the "sudo" raises the permissions of the bunzip2 program
> > (quite uselessly, AFAICS), while doing nothing for the tar program in
> > the other pipe step.  Put the "sudo" in the other pipe step.
> >
> > (This is assuming that unpacking straight into /usr is actually what
> > you want to do.  I share the doubts of the other responders about
> > that being a wise procedure.)
>
> Well, as I said I don't need a server - I just need libpq.
> So I didn't really care where to install it. ;-)

I am sorry to say this, but unfortunately I will have to build it from sources.
It looks like the binary package I downloaded were built with the gcc
and I'm trying
to build my software with the Oracle DevStudio.

Thank you all and sorry for wasting everybody's time.

> Thank you.
>

> >                         regards, tom lane

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris

From
Ron
Date:

Date:
Off hand I would say the user you are running as does not have the permissions to unpack the tarball in the location you have selected.

[code]
igor@solaris:/usr$ sudo bunzip2 < postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2
You mean even running as "sudo"?

Is that a binary or source tarball?

If binary, is it designed specifically for Solaris?

Does the tarball's README tell you to untar it under /usr?

Thank you.

| tar xpf -
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg: No such file or directory

Yeah. Unpacking it directly into /usr doesn't seem a particularly wise idea.

tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc: No such file or directory

[snip]

4/server: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
[/code]

And many other like those.

Is the instructions wrong?

I'm trying 9.6.1 because I'm using it on Windows/OSX for libpq.

Thank you.

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris

From
Hans Schou

Date:

Date:
On 3/23/19 8:42 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 9:25 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Off hand I would say the user you are running as does not have the permissions to unpack the tarball in the
locationyou have selected.

>> You mean even running as "sudo"?
>
> In the above, the "sudo" raises the permissions of the bunzip2 program
> (quite uselessly, AFAICS), while doing nothing for the tar program in
> the other pipe step.  Put the "sudo" in the other pipe step.
>
> (This is assuming that unpacking straight into /usr is actually what
> you want to do.  I share the doubts of the other responders about
> that being a wise procedure.)

It is what the README says:

https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.6.1/solaris/solaris11/i386/

"The files will be installed in directories under
'postgres/9.6-pgdg', so if you install under /usr they will be at
locations similar to any PostgreSQL in Solaris."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com