Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/23/19 8:58 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 3/22/19 11:59 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
Hi, ALL,
I tried to follow an instructions at
https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.6.1/solaris/solaris11/i386/
in the README but I received following:

Off hand I would say the user you are running as does not have the permissions to unpack the tarball in the location you have selected.

[code]
igor@solaris:/usr$ sudo bunzip2 < postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2
| tar xpf -
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg: No such file or directory

Yeah. Unpacking it directly into /usr doesn't seem a particularly wise idea.

tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/doc: No such file or directory
[snip]
4/server: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server: No such file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
tar: cannot open postgres/9.6-pgdg/include/64/server/utils: No such
file or directory
tar: postgres: Permission denied
[/code]

And many other like those.

Is the instructions wrong?

I'm trying 9.6.1 because I'm using it on Windows/OSX for libpq.

Thank you.