Upgrading from 9.2.15 to 9.4.20

From
Michal
Date:
Im trying to upgrade PostgreSQL from 9.2.15 to 9.4.20
with this :
 /usr/pgsql-9.4/bin/pg_upgrade --old-bindir=/usr/bin
--new-bindir=/usr/pgsql-9.4/bin --old-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/  data
--new-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data

Can anybody help me with this? I also try -p port parameter not helped. Both
databse instances are shut down.

that give me this output :

Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking cluster versions                                   ok

*failure*
Consult the last few lines of "pg_upgrade_server.log" for
the probable cause of the failure.

connection to database failed: could not connect to server: No such file or
directory
        connections on Unix domain socket "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.50432"?

could not connect to old postmaster started with the command:
"/usr/bin/pg_ctl" -w -l "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/var/lib/pgsql/data" -o
"-p 50432 -b  -c listen_addresses='' -c unix_so  cket_permissions=0700 -c
unix_socket_directory='/run/postgresql'" start
Failure, exiting

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: Upgrading from 9.2.15 to 9.4.20

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:
On 18/1/19 12:30 μ.μ., Michal wrote:
> Im trying to upgrade PostgreSQL from 9.2.15 to 9.4.20
> with this :
>   /usr/pgsql-9.4/bin/pg_upgrade --old-bindir=/usr/bin
> --new-bindir=/usr/pgsql-9.4/bin --old-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/  data
> --new-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data
>
> Can anybody help me with this? I also try -p port parameter not helped. Both
> databse instances are shut down.
>
> that give me this output :
>
> Performing Consistency Checks
> -----------------------------
> Checking cluster versions                                   ok
>
> *failure*
> Consult the last few lines of "pg_upgrade_server.log" for
> the probable cause of the failure.
>
> connection to database failed: could not connect to server: No such file or
> directory
>          Is the server running locally and accepting
>          connections on Unix domain socket "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.50432"?
>

> could not connect to old postmaster started with the command:
> "/usr/bin/pg_ctl" -w -l "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/var/lib/pgsql/data" -o
> "-p 50432 -b  -c listen_addresses='' -c unix_so  cket_permissions=0700 -c
> unix_socket_directory='/run/postgresql'" start
> Failure, exiting
tweak your .pgpass a little bit, I remember from 9.3 to 10 I had to define :
/var/lib/pgsql:50432:*:postgres:<pgpass>

or just make local UNIX connections trusted in pg_hba.conf
also try to start the old postmaster by hand using the command shown and look to verify that you can locate the socket
under/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.50432

make sure that the dir is there as well.

> --
> Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead
IT DEPT
Dynacom Tankers Mgmt

Re: Upgrading from 9.2.15 to 9.4.20

From
Michal
Date:
Is anywhere where IP adress of the server must be set? Because im doing
upgrade on test and this is copy of the VM of production (upgrading Jira
PostgreSQL)...Checks when Postgres 9.2.15 running gives me ok when i stop
both instances and try to upgrade i have error what i writed.

Can you be please more specific what can i do?

directory  /run/postgresql when Postgres 9.2.15 running contains this :
pg_upgrade_internal.log  pg_upgrade_server.log  pg_upgrade_utility.log

and how can i make local UNIX connections trusted in pg_hba.conf?
pg_hba.conf contains this :

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

#local   all             all                                     peer
# IPv4 local connections:
#host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            ident
# IPv6 local connections:
#host    all             all             ::1/128                 ident
# Allow replication connections from localhost, by a user with the
# replication privilege.
#local   replication     postgres                                peer
#host    replication     postgres        127.0.0.1/32            ident
#host    replication     postgres        ::1/128                 ident
local   all all                          trust
host    all    all 127.0.0.1/32    trust

Thanks for help

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

Re: Upgrading from 9.2.15 to 9.4.20

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 1/18/19 3:50 AM, Michal wrote:
> Is anywhere where IP adress of the server must be set? Because im doing
> upgrade on test and this is copy of the VM of production (upgrading Jira
> PostgreSQL)...Checks when Postgres 9.2.15 running gives me ok when i stop
> both instances and try to upgrade i have error what i writed.

What OS.version are you using?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/runtime-config-connection.html

> Can you be please more specific what can i do?
>
> directory  /run/postgresql when Postgres 9.2.15 running contains this :
> pg_upgrade_internal.log  pg_upgrade_server.log  pg_upgrade_utility.log

Is this when it is running not in upgrade mode?

If so the I would try the command the pg_upgrade_server.log showed was
used to start the server in upgrade mode(making sure the server is not
running before you do the below):

/usr/bin/pg_ctl -w -l pg_upgrade_server.log -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -o
"-p 50432 -b  -c listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700 -c
unix_socket_directory='/run/postgresql'" start

Then look in /run/postgresql.

If the server does not start I would look in the system logs to see if
there is a permissions problem preventing Postgres from writing to
/run/postgresql.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/client-authentication.html

> # TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

So:

> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only

Turn this:

> #local   all             all                                     peer

into:

local   all             all                                     trust

Then restart the server.

adrian.klaver@aklaver.com