Broken link in JSON Types documentation

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/datatype-json.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/datatype-json.html

Links to http://rfc7159.net/rfc7159. I get a 403 error for both
http://rfc7159.net/rfc7159 and http://rfc7159.net/.

Re: Broken link in JSON Types documentation

Date:
=?utf-8?q?PG_Doc_comments_form?= <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/datatype-json.html

> Links to http://rfc7159.net/rfc7159. I get a 403 error for both
> http://rfc7159.net/rfc7159 and http://rfc7159.net/.

In PG v10 and up this link goes to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7159.
Evidently whoever updated it didn't bother to back-patch into old
branches.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Broken link in JSON Types documentation

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 06:11:55PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> In PG v10 and up this link goes to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7159.
> Evidently whoever updated it didn't bother to back-patch into old
> branches.

I don't think that really cool to have user-facing documentation which
goes to the void on supported branches, especially if there is an
adequate replacement.  Tom, do you think that this is worth updating?
--
Michael

Attachment

Re: Broken link in JSON Types documentation

Date:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 06:11:55PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In PG v10 and up this link goes to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7159.
>> Evidently whoever updated it didn't bother to back-patch into old
>> branches.

> I don't think that really cool to have user-facing documentation which
> goes to the void on supported branches, especially if there is an
> adequate replacement.  Tom, do you think that this is worth updating?

I didn't quite have the energy to do something about it yesterday,
but if you do, feel free.

(I'd suggest looking up the commit that fixed it, to see if it fixed
anything else.)

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 09:50:34AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I didn't quite have the energy to do something about it yesterday,
> but if you do, feel free.
>
> (I'd suggest looking up the commit that fixed it, to see if it fixed
> anything else.)

Sure, that was my plan.  The change is from d542859, which did not go
to 9.6 and older, and committed.  There was one conflict for libpq
which was simple enough to fix, and I have also double-checked the
rest of the docs for rogue links to RFCs.
--
Michael

Attachment