PL/Java 1.5.1_BETA2

From
Chapman Flack
Date:
Hello packagers,

There is a PL/Java 1.5.1 release at github, supporting PG 11 back to PG 8.2:

https://github.com/tada/pljava/releases/tag/V1_5_1

Release notes: http://tada.github.io/pljava/releasenotes.html

It requires Java 8 to build; its pljava.libjvm_location GUC can be pointed
at run time to any Java 6 to Java 11 (and, with luck, later) JRE. When
pointed to a later JRE, it allows a user to write and use Java functions
using the latest language features.

The build script allows a default value for libjvm_location to be built in.
A package built for a platform with a standardized location for Java can
build in an appropriate default, so the user experience of installing
PL/Java is as simple as possible, and doesn't require setting the GUC first.

A reasonable value for the default might be whatever version of Java would
be installed by the target distro/release's default-java or similar package.
That way, PL/Java could be installed in simple cases without pulling in
another JRE if the default one is already there. A site that needs a
different Java version could then download that and adjust the GUC
accordingly.

The PL/Java build instructions are here:
http://tada.github.io/pljava/build/build.html

... and a page of tips specifically for packaging is here:
http://tada.github.io/pljava/build/package.html

I hope this new version can find a home in your repositories. If it
gives you any difficulties, please let me know. Thanks!

Chapman Flack

Re: PL/Java 1.5.1 (not BETA2, forgot to edit subject)

From
Chapman Flack
Date:
On 10/17/18 01:49, Chapman Flack wrote:
> There is a PL/Java 1.5.1 release at github, supporting PG 11 back to PG 8.2:

In my haste to announce, I reused an old mail and didn't take the "BETA2"
out of the Subject:.

I also omitted one detail. The new release has some optionally-built
examples, built only if -Psaxon-examples is on the mvn command line.
The switch should only be included when building for PG 8.4 or newer,
and building with Java 8. When present, it will add the ~ 5 MB
Saxon-HE-9.8.0.14.jar at build time (which Maven will automatically
fetch, if not constrained to build offline). The jar will not be
included in the built package, so it will become an optional run-time
dependency. The related examples will still be included in the examples
jar, and declared in PostgreSQL if the examples jar is loaded, but the
Saxon-HE jar would have to be obtained and installed before they will work.

It would be ideal to have the package built that way (whenever the PG
version is >= 8.4), so that simply obtaining the Saxon jar will be the
only extra step required for anyone interested in trying those examples.

Regards,
-Chap

Date: