PL/Java 1.5.1_BETA2 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Chapman Flack
Subject PL/Java 1.5.1_BETA2
Date
Re: PL/Java 1.5.1 (not BETA2, forgot to edit subject)  (Chapman Flack <chap@anastigmatix.net>)
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Hello packagers,

There is a PL/Java 1.5.1 release at github, supporting PG 11 back to PG 8.2:

https://github.com/tada/pljava/releases/tag/V1_5_1

Release notes: http://tada.github.io/pljava/releasenotes.html

It requires Java 8 to build; its pljava.libjvm_location GUC can be pointed
at run time to any Java 6 to Java 11 (and, with luck, later) JRE. When
pointed to a later JRE, it allows a user to write and use Java functions
using the latest language features.

The build script allows a default value for libjvm_location to be built in.
A package built for a platform with a standardized location for Java can
build in an appropriate default, so the user experience of installing
PL/Java is as simple as possible, and doesn't require setting the GUC first.

A reasonable value for the default might be whatever version of Java would
be installed by the target distro/release's default-java or similar package.
That way, PL/Java could be installed in simple cases without pulling in
another JRE if the default one is already there. A site that needs a
different Java version could then download that and adjust the GUC
accordingly.

The PL/Java build instructions are here:
http://tada.github.io/pljava/build/build.html

... and a page of tips specifically for packaging is here:
http://tada.github.io/pljava/build/package.html

I hope this new version can find a home in your repositories. If it
gives you any difficulties, please let me know. Thanks!

Chapman Flack