amcheck for PG11 in Debian

From
Christoph Berg
Date:
Hi Peter,

if I understood it correctly, amcheck in Debian (and on
apt.postgresql.org) is a backpatch of the PG11+ functionality,
for older versions.

As we just switched to PG11 in Debian, it no longer makes sense to
keep the package there, so we should get it removed. Is that correct?

(Of course the package will stay on apt.postgresql.org as long as PG10
is supported there.)

Christoph

Re: amcheck for PG11 in Debian

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
Hi Christoph,

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 1:20 PM Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
> if I understood it correctly, amcheck in Debian (and on
> apt.postgresql.org) is a backpatch of the PG11+ functionality,
> for older versions.
>
> As we just switched to PG11 in Debian, it no longer makes sense to
> keep the package there, so we should get it removed. Is that correct?

That makes sense. amcheck_next won't even build against Postgres 11.
It has feature parity with 11's contrib/amcheck, so I imagine that
nobody is interested in installing it anyway.

I may one day want to support v11 within amcheck_next, in order to
bring some newer feature to older versions. But, I have no plans to
further enhance amcheck in the next year or so. There is no point in
worrying about something that may never happen.

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Peter Geoghegan 2018-10-15 <CAH2-WzkJPM3Y+7GoRUYom7RZD=LiR+V9FPEH87c5yzKBOLyf3A@mail.gmail.com>
> I may one day want to support v11 within amcheck_next, in order to
> bring some newer feature to older versions. But, I have no plans to
> further enhance amcheck in the next year or so. There is no point in
> worrying about something that may never happen.

Ok, filed the removal request.

Reintroducing the package will be no problem if it becomes useful with
PG11 again.

Thanks,
Christoph