Re: amcheck for PG11 in Debian - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: amcheck for PG11 in Debian
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Hi Christoph,

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 1:20 PM Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
> if I understood it correctly, amcheck in Debian (and on
> apt.postgresql.org) is a backpatch of the PG11+ functionality,
> for older versions.
>
> As we just switched to PG11 in Debian, it no longer makes sense to
> keep the package there, so we should get it removed. Is that correct?

That makes sense. amcheck_next won't even build against Postgres 11.
It has feature parity with 11's contrib/amcheck, so I imagine that
nobody is interested in installing it anyway.

I may one day want to support v11 within amcheck_next, in order to
bring some newer feature to older versions. But, I have no plans to
further enhance amcheck in the next year or so. There is no point in
worrying about something that may never happen.

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan