Possible problem of mailing list archive(s)

From
Antonin Houska
Date:
[ I haven't found better place to report this problem quickly. If you want
further information from me, please contact me directly - I'm not sucbscribed
to -www. ]

In this post

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/11824.1532519662%40localhost

I replied to an email that I actually don't see in the web archive.

Message-Id of the missing email is:

201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp

--
Antonin Houska
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH

Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
On 07/25/2018 02:34 PM, Antonin Houska wrote:
> [ I haven't found better place to report this problem quickly. If you want
> further information from me, please contact me directly - I'm not sucbscribed
> to -www. ]

thats fine

> In this post
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/11824.1532519662%40localhost
>
> I replied to an email that I actually don't see in the web archive.
>
> Message-Id of the missing email is:
>
> 201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp

its not immediately obvious from the quote in your mail but isnt the
mail you replied too equivalent to this one:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201807242252.w6OMqNx2001418%40ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp

I can't actually find the claimed missing message-id in our mailinglist
server logs at all - can you please show us the headers from that mail
to confirm it actually went through our systems and it was not a copy of
the mail that was directly sent to you or something else?

Stefan

Re: Possible problem of mailing list archive(s)

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Jul-25, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> On 07/25/2018 02:34 PM, Antonin Houska wrote:

> > In this post
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/11824.1532519662%40localhost
> >
> > I replied to an email that I actually don't see in the web archive.
> >
> > Message-Id of the missing email is:
> >
> > 201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp
>
> its not immediately obvious from the quote in your mail but isnt the
> mail you replied too equivalent to this one:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201807242252.w6OMqNx2001418%40ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp

> I can't actually find the claimed missing message-id in our mailinglist
> server logs at all - can you please show us the headers from that mail
> to confirm it actually went through our systems and it was not a copy of
> the mail that was directly sent to you or something else?

I looked at makus and malur logs and the message-id Antonin mentions was
there, showing as delivered to pglister.

makus:
2018-07-23 06:38:08 [12564] 1fhUTs-0003Ge-Vl <= harada.toshi@po.ntt-tx.co.jp H=mail05.ics.ntt-tx.co.jp
(mail04.ics.ntt-tx.co.jp)[210.232.35.69] P=esmtps X=TLS1.2:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA384:256 CV=no S=6188
id=201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp
2018-07-23 06:38:09 [12569] 1fhUTs-0003Ge-Vl => pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org R=forward_to_pg_destinations_legacy
T=manual_smtp_affixH=malur.postgresql.org [2a02:16a8:dc51::56] X=TLS1.2:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA384:256 CV=yes
DN="CN=lists.postgresql.org"C="250 OK id=1fhUTx-0001l5-Aj" QT=5s DT=1s

2018-07-23 06:38:09 [12569] 1fhUTs-0003Ge-Vl Completed QT=5s

malur:
2018-07-23 06:38:09 [6763] 1fhUTx-0001l5-Aj <= harada.toshi@po.ntt-tx.co.jp H=makus.postgresql.org
[2001:4800:1501:1::229]P=esmtps X=TLS1.2:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA384:256 CV=no S=6510
id=201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp
2018-07-23 06:38:09 [6764] 1fhUTx-0001l5-Aj => pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org> R=pglister_router
T=pglister_pipeQT=0s DT=0s

2018-07-23 06:38:09 [6764] 1fhUTx-0001l5-Aj Completed QT=0s

I then noticed a ton of stuff stuck in the moderator queue and approved
a bunch.  I thought Toshi's email was there, but probably what was there
is the one you (Stefan) say, not the one Antonin says -- I didn't
double-check that.  But malur pglister logs did list this message-id as
in moderation queue.

Not sure what happened in the archives.  The message is still not there.

Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Jul-25, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I then noticed a ton of stuff stuck in the moderator queue and approved
> a bunch.  I thought Toshi's email was there, but probably what was there
> is the one you (Stefan) say, not the one Antonin says -- I didn't
> double-check that.  But malur pglister logs did list this message-id as
> in moderation queue.

pglister logs:

    2018-07-24 22:46:34    Info        web         <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>    Removed
messagefrom queue by token

    2018-07-23 06:38:09    Info        mail    -    <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>    Done
processing.
    2018-07-23 06:38:09    Info        mail    -    <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>
Messageto list pgsql-hackers held for moderation due to 'sender is not a subscriber of any list', notice queued for 3
moderators
    2018-07-23 06:38:09    Info        inject    -    <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>    New
mailfrom harada.toshi@po.ntt-tx.co.jp to pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org.

I suppose somebody rejected the email.  Maybe it contained a large
attachment or something?  It seems clear that Antonin replied to an
email that wasn't distributed by the list, and that Harada re-posted.

Antonin Houska
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

> On 07/25/2018 02:34 PM, Antonin Houska wrote:
> > [ I haven't found better place to report this problem quickly. If you want
> > further information from me, please contact me directly - I'm not sucbscribed
> > to -www. ]
>
> thats fine
>

> > In this post
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/11824.1532519662%40localhost
> >
> > I replied to an email that I actually don't see in the web archive.
> >
> > Message-Id of the missing email is:
> >
> > 201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp
>
> its not immediately obvious from the quote in your mail but isnt the
> mail you replied too equivalent to this one:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201807242252.w6OMqNx2001418%40ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp

Yes, the contents seem identical. This link seems to point at a duplicate
message that I received yesteday, after I reported the problem. I suppose it
was re-sent during your troubleshooting. The message id I see in my inbox does
match the link:

> I can't actually find the claimed missing message-id in our mailinglist
> server logs at all - can you please show us the headers from that mail
> to confirm it actually went through our systems and it was not a copy of
> the mail that was directly sent to you or something else?

The whole message is attached to this email.

--

Date:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2018-Jul-25, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > I then noticed a ton of stuff stuck in the moderator queue and approved
> > a bunch.  I thought Toshi's email was there, but probably what was there
> > is the one you (Stefan) say, not the one Antonin says -- I didn't
> > double-check that.  But malur pglister logs did list this message-id as
> > in moderation queue.
>
> pglister logs:
>
>     2018-07-24 22:46:34    Info        web         <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>
Removedmessage from queue by token
>     2018-07-23 06:38:09    Info        mail    -    <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>
Doneprocessing.
>     2018-07-23 06:38:09    Info        mail    -    <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>
Messageto list pgsql-hackers held for moderation due to 'sender is not a subscriber of any list', notice queued for 3
moderators
>     2018-07-23 06:38:09    Info        inject    -    <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>
Newmail from harada.toshi@po.ntt-tx.co.jp to pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org.

> I suppose somebody rejected the email.  Maybe it contained a large
> attachment or something?  It seems clear that Antonin replied to an
> email that wasn't distributed by the list, and that Harada re-posted.

ok. My concern was that there might be an issue that prevents (many) other
messages from appearing in the archives. If it was rejected accidentally, it's
not good but it's also not as serious as silent data loss would be. Thanks for
checking.

--
Antonin Houska
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26, A-2700 Wiener Neustadt

Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 8:36 AM, Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2018-Jul-25, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > I then noticed a ton of stuff stuck in the moderator queue and approved
> > a bunch.  I thought Toshi's email was there, but probably what was there
> > is the one you (Stefan) say, not the one Antonin says -- I didn't
> > double-check that.  But malur pglister logs did list this message-id as
> > in moderation queue.
>
> pglister logs:
>
>       2018-07-24 22:46:34     Info           web             <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>        Removed message from queue by token
>      2018-07-23 06:38:09     Info           mail    -       <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>        Done processing.
>      2018-07-23 06:38:09     Info           mail    -       <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>        Message to list pgsql-hackers held for moderation due to 'sender is not a subscriber of any list', notice queued for 3 moderators
>      2018-07-23 06:38:09     Info           inject  -       <201807230637.w6N6bDnQ028675@ccmail04.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>        New mail from harada.toshi@po.ntt-tx.co.jp to pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org.
>
> I suppose somebody rejected the email.  Maybe it contained a large
> attachment or something?  It seems clear that Antonin replied to an
> email that wasn't distributed by the list, and that Harada re-posted.

ok. My concern was that there might be an issue that prevents (many) other
messages from appearing in the archives. If it was rejected accidentally, it's
not good but it's also not as serious as silent data loss would be. Thanks for
checking.

Actually, the "removed message from queue by token" is logged when the *sender* removes it.

So basically the order was:
1.  harada.toshi@po.ntt-tx.co.jp send an email to the list (with CC to people, I assume)
2. A return email from pglister was sent saying "hey you sent an email to a list that you're not subcribed to, what would you like to do"?
3. harada.toshi@po.ntt-tx.co.jp (or somebody reading that email address) clicked the link in that email to cancel the message and remove it from the queue.